Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Need help w/ Kaleidoscope quilt >
  • Need help w/ Kaleidoscope quilt

• Need help w/ Kaleidoscope quilt

Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 PM
    Pam

Good luck. With the 4 yards, plenty of fabric, but with such a busy design, it may not be what you hope for. I love the first one with the cows, but not for this, or your cows will be whirling out to never be seen again
    Old 05-18-2010, 08:24 PM

Beautiful fabrics!

Sounds as if these ladies really know what they are talking about with this design. Do post photos as you are working so we all can learn. I have never had the nerve to jump into this design, but would love to know more.
    Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 PM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Looks like you're getting the book and I'm sure that will help you. Choosing fabric for these IS about the length of repeat, but also about the colour range, type and size of print etc. All this is very well explained with photos showing what will and will not work and why, in the book. If you HAD to go with what you showed, I'd say the pink roses of which you have 4 yards. It's hard to see the repeat from the photo though and I think it would be a fairly subtle effect with only the pinks and the green and the odd dot of yellow from the centres.

I'd have to agree with Gai though - I think you want to follow the guidelines in the book and buy some fabric specifically for this project - it would be a shame if you were disppointed with the outcome after having invested in the course. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing pics. :-D

PS I found this link online to someone's supply list for a class http://www.meissnersewing.com/Downlo...nderFolsom.pdf

There are some notes there about fabric selection that may help you but note that the first item on the list is the book by Maxine Rosenthal. I've made lots of these and though I don't need to follow the book for cutting instructions anymore (mostly! :lol: ) I do refer to it a lot for design advice, border inspiration etc so I think it really IS a good investment. :D No, I'm not on commission! :lol: :wink:
    Old 05-19-2010, 01:45 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by annieshane
    Beautiful fabrics!

Sounds as if these ladies really know what they are talking about with this design. Do post photos as you are working so we all can learn. I have never had the nerve to jump into this design, but would love to know more.
    I was just thinking the same. What a wonderful, helpful forum this is. Proud to be part of it.
    Old 05-19-2010, 03:51 AM

This link may help you in how to decide and cut:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35685-1.htm
    CuteBuns-a member here-did a whole think on kaleidoscope type quilts.
    Hugs
    April
    Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 AM

Magnolia, I followed the tute with cutebuns and recommend it. It was a great help. I am sure she will also answer any questions that you have. I have included two links. One is the link with my original fabric and the second if you scroll down a little you will see the completed top. I used a fabric that most probably wouldn't have b/c it is so much alike but I like the way it turned out. For some reason in quilting I lean to the dainty!

original fabric

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35100-10.htm

complete top

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36954-45.htm

Kyia
    Old 05-19-2010, 05:18 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by k3n
    Looks like you're getting the book and I'm sure that will help you. Choosing fabric for these IS about the length of repeat, but also about the colour range, type and size of print etc.

Because of OBW's I have changed the way I buy fabric. I used to buy 2-3-whatever number of yards. Now, if I like a fabric, I'm counting the repeats and making sure I get at least 6. I have a GORGEOUS floral fabric that would make a great OBW, but in 4 yards, I only have 4 repeats. Darn it!!
    Old 05-19-2010, 05:26 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by gaigai
    Originally Posted by k3n
    Looks like you're getting the book and I'm sure that will help you. Choosing fabric for these IS about the length of repeat, but also about the colour range, type and size of print etc.

Because of OBW's I have changed the way I buy fabric. I used to buy 2-3-whatever number of yards. Now, if I like a fabric, I'm counting the repeats and making sure I get at least 6. I have a GORGEOUS floral fabric that would make a great OBW, but in 4 yards, I only have 4 repeats. Darn it!!
    You could do 4 repeats and cut squares, then cut each stack of squares on the diagonal, so each stack gives you 4 identical QSTs to make a kaleido square. Is that clear? Then you could use the square as a focus square in another block! Just an idea! I've just something similar and used the squares in the 4 corners of a D9P. Not done yet though so not showing! ;) :D
    Old 05-19-2010, 05:30 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by k3n
    You could do 4 repeats and cut squares, then cut each stack of squares on the diagonal, so each stack gives you 4 identical QSTs to make a kaleido square. Is that clear? Then you could use the square as a focus square in another block! Just an idea! I've just something similar and used the squares in the 4 corners of a D9P. Not done yet though so not showing! ;) :D

Yeah, I know what you are talking about, but I think I'll go ahead and use the fabric in another woven-ribbons quilt, with just one color of edging this time. It's the luscious floral that I showed you with the mauve and green and blue. It will look great that way. But if I ever find more of it, I'm buying 6 yards for an OBW!

:roll: :P
    Old 05-19-2010, 05:36 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: