Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Need help w/ Kaleidoscope quilt >

Need help w/ Kaleidoscope quilt

Need help w/ Kaleidoscope quilt

Old 05-18-2010, 06:05 PM

I signed up to take a class on Kaleidoscope quilts with the local quilt guild that I will be joining. They say I need a fabric with 6 repeats. I was hoping to use something from my stash; fabrics I have purchased at a guild yard sale and Wal-mart for a dollar a yard. I was hoping you guys could tell me if one of these fabrics might work or if not, then why they don't or what I should look for. I have included the yardage in case this helps. Thank you.

Winter Cows 1.5 yards
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69729[/ATTACH]

Roses 4 yards
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69730[/ATTACH]

Roses and Small flowers 7/8 of a yard
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69731[/ATTACH]

Blue Wave and Small Flowers 4 yards
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69732[/ATTACH]

Purple Background with Floral 1.5 yards
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69733[/ATTACH]

Red Background, Bees, Beehives, Flowers 2 yards
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69734[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-69724.jpe   attachment-69725.jpe   attachment-69726.jpe   attachment-69727.jpe   attachment-69728.jpe  

attachment-69729.jpe  
Old 05-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

The 4 yard piece with roses, or the last two with the purple and red backgrounds, I think would work the best. You will get enough repeats, and I think they will be pretty. The smaller pieces won't have enough repeats and the first piece doesn't look like it has enough repeats either, but it is hard to tell.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 PM

You wanted to know why some of these won't work...the one with the lines running across probably wouldn't work because those lines would be hard to line up so they aren't going in all directions.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 PM

I would use the 4 yards of roses, or the purple one, second to last.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

I think there are lots that will work, but, if you want to really have some fun blocks get an multi-colored, multi-floral that has lots of colors and some scroll work in it. Or I have seen some large multi-colored paisleys that really looked good finished into a kaleidoscope.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Banned

look at the selvedge edge of each of your fabrics, and look for a particular design. Then follow along the edge until you find that exact design again. The distance between is the length of your repeat. Count the number of repeats. I don't think the striped one will make a good OBW. I have a feeling you are going to have to bite the bullet and buy more fabric. Do you have the book? Have you read it? It gives very clear directions. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

I am thinking the 4 yards of rose or the bottom two . The top one is too big of a spread for the repeat pattern and the strips would be difficult to match .

a way to audition fabric is if you have two mirrors put the edges together and see how the fabric looks in the mirrors. Does that make sense ?

here is an example of what they look like

http://www.mybluebamboo.com/cgi-bin/...cking5=froogle
Old 05-18-2010, 07:11 PM

Personally, I would try the bee hives (last photo). Your pattern repeats should fall at least 8 inches apart and ones solid background color should not be to large. I feel the first rose fabric will be too busy and not enough contrast. The second rose fabric should work provided there is a definite repeat in same direction of flower. I have see fabric where printing is slightly changed as focus(rose) goes across the fabric. Good luck with yours and do read upon the Internet or find the book before you start if no one is helping you.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/albu...ser/dizzydonna

Paste this into your browser and you can see the one I am presently working upon.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I put the One Block Wonder Encore book on hold at my library so hopefully this will help!
Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Pam

Good luck. With the 4 yards, plenty of fabric, but with such a busy design, it may not be what you hope for. I love the first one with the cows, but not for this, or your cows will be whirling out to never be seen again