Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Need quilting ideas >

Need quilting ideas

Need quilting ideas

Old 11-06-2008, 10:38 AM

I just finished this quilt top. It's to be for my mom for Christmas. Pepper, one of my many quality control inspectors, says she likes it well enough, but it doesn't have enough cat hair on it yet, so she's doing her part. I don't have time to hand quilt it, and my machine quilting skills are limited to straight lines. Anyone have any bright ideas on how I could quilt this????
Attached Thumbnails attachment-35809.jpe  
Old 11-06-2008, 11:11 AM

I just took a machine quilting class and she does stitch in the ditch around everything including borders and then does fill in the differents areas. For example in your inner squares you might put a star or some other meaning full object then quilt feathers or leaves or a continuous pattern aroung the next square. You could do some really fun interesting stuff. Check out the quilting books around to get ideas.
Some day I want to do a square in a square pattern.
I just saw the straight lines in your post. You can do X in the center of the small sqare and grids in the outer areas aroung the square.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:17 AM

Harmony-I really like your quilt a lot. You picked great fabrics and pattern. I have not a clue how I would quilt it if I was you. I am a ditch quilter too. You might try quilting it on the diagonal instead. That is still straight line quilting, but would be something different. Sorry I am not any help!!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:31 AM

Love your Quilt! I'm no help on the quilting either! You & I need to get together and get this machine quilting thing figured out!!!!! :lol:
Old 11-06-2008, 11:32 AM

Just love the quilt. If it were me Iwould do a checkerborad ( up-down and across)The size of your 4patch squares.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:43 AM

What I usually end up doing is quilting on the diagonal with a fun stitch. My quilting skills are very lacking as well.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:45 AM

Nice quilt Harmony! I think I would quilt on the diagonal, from corner to corner of the blocks, and also in the ditch at least vertically & horizontally around the big blocks. Then look at it & see if you think you'd like more quilting. :D
(I would probably start with the vertical & horizontal, then do the diagonal, come to think of it. :wink: )
Old 11-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

You could cross hatch it.

Great top BTW.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:37 PM

Thanks for your ideas. I think I might do the diagonal lines, as so many of you suggested. Sure wish I was better at this part of it!

Melissa, you're right--we need to get this machine quilting thing figured out! My guess is you'll be a pro at it in a couple of weeks now that you have your hot new sewing machine!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:24 PM

I see bees and flowers.....just here and there and x stitches else where....or just some free form lopps.....just and idea...good luck