Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some input

Finally have a picture of some of the 6.5" Christmas sampler blocks I have. I was thinking I'd like to make a larger center block, surround with a thin border, then a row of these blocks, row of border, row of blocks, etc. But, I need to know how big to make the center block and the borders so everything works out even. Too much thinking for my feeble brain, so maybe someone out there has a more mathmatical brain than I! Or maybe someone has a better idea for a setting. I could just join them all as is, or with sashing, I just wanted something a little different. Whaddya think???
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    I do like your starting blocks!! I suggest laying them out on a large table so you can try different layouts to see what you like, then figure out your center blocks, borders, etc. Easier that way.

How many total of the small blocks do you have? That will give a better idea of how to plan it out.

I just finished a quilt doing just what you are thinking about doing. What I did was made my center (which was appliqued) with a small border to equal 2 blocks across and 3 blocks down. My blocks were 8" finished, so my center with the border was 16" x 24". Then I put a row of blocks, then a 4 inch border (because two borders = one 8" block) then another row of blocks, then another border. My last border, which is not done yet, is a 12" border that will be appliqued to match the center block. If your blocks are 6" finished, you might make your center 12" x 18" (2 blocks by 3 blocks) or 18" x 24" (3 blocks by 4 blocks) plus one block in each corner. Then your borders need to be 3 inches so your next row of blocks would increase 1 block on each side. I hope this helps! If you need more clarification, just PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    How many total of the small blocks do you have? That will give a better idea of how to plan it out.
    I have 97 of them, but I'd like to make 2 quilts. I can make more blocks if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
    I just finished a quilt doing just what you are thinking about doing. What I did was made my center (which was appliqued) with a small border to equal 2 blocks across and 3 blocks down. My blocks were 8" finished, so my center with the border was 16" x 24". Then I put a row of blocks, then a 4 inch border (because two borders = one 8" block) then another row of blocks, then another border. My last border, which is not done yet, is a 12" border that will be appliqued to match the center block. If your blocks are 6" finished, you might make your center 12" x 18" (2 blocks by 3 blocks) or 18" x 24" (3 blocks by 4 blocks) plus one block in each corner. Then your borders need to be 3 inches so your next row of blocks would increase 1 block on each side. I hope this helps! If you need more clarification, just PM me!
    Thanks very much for this info. I do have a couple more questions, so I'll PM you. (tomorrow - it's getting late and I'm going to bed!)

Sounds like Pamela has just the info you need!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't no about your question but I sure do like you work. Penny

Quote Originally Posted by penny doty
    I don't no about your question but I sure do like you work. Penny
    Thank you but I can't take credit for all of them. I did a trade with a friend in Nova Scotia and one in The Netherlands.

your blocks are gorgeous!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast