Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A Needle & 2 days + A Door & 4 hours = One Cranky Witch On Her Broom >

A Needle & 2 days + A Door & 4 hours = One Cranky Witch On Her Broom

A Needle & 2 days + A Door & 4 hours = One Cranky Witch On Her Broom

Old 10-28-2011, 09:25 AM

I bet your wondering how this relates to quilting..... :lol: It all happened because of this quilt ! In the end , it all worked out great, but , whoa!!!! What a wild two days. Long story short....... Needle inserted the wrong way :roll: :D :cry: :evil: :thumbdown: :shock: Duh, flat side down, Daphne. Please tell me that I'm not the only one to ever do this. Let me back up a bit to Sept. and my sisters quilt, finished it , put a new needle in the machine, so I would be ready for the next quilt. Fast forward , Okay,Pastors' quilt ready to FMQ, gather supplies & thread machine, ready set !Go! Not !!!! I tried everything, and I do mean everything short of taking a ball bat to it. I grumbled ,growled, evil cackle ;thought a few choice words, cried, oiled it, rethreaded it.Finally gave up , decided our pastor would get it for CHRISTmas instead of Pastor Appreciation Day.I have to stay busy, so I decided to tackle another project that was waiting patiently to be finished. Our new front door. Now, that's a nother story, its fiberglass, have to use a gel stain, ugh, didn't like the first coat(8 hr. dry time between) or second coat. Numerous trips back to the hardware store. It took 4 hours to remove the stain from that door. I went with cedar stain by Old Masters, LOVE IT!! Next time ,I'll hire it done though.lol. Patting myself on the back , I decide to tackle the machine one more time before I send her to the doctor. Sit down, carefully re-thread machine , run a new bobbin, check for hidden lint or thread, deduece that the only thing I haven't tried yet was a new needle.......OMG!! It was in backwards.....eeeeehhh aaawwww.How in the world did that happen? Well, back to the quilt. It is a" In Memory quilt", it is made from our Pastor's fathers shirts.A surprise , only his wife knows. His dad was a pastor also and had an abundance of dress shirts, ties, suits. They offered the items to anyone that could use them, with the leftovers going to goodwill. As close as he was to his dad I knew I had to make him a memory quilt.They were like two peas in a pod, loved hunting , fishing, did everything together.I hope that washing helps with the puffiness, did a large crosshatch, meandering on borders. So it did work out, I have a new door(happy with the color now) and quilt is almost done, well, it has to be by Sunday , working on binding. See it does pertain to quilting :lol: ;) No longer cranky either.

Full shot , not true to color
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278351[/ATTACH]

True colors
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278352[/ATTACH]

outdoorsmen border
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278353[/ATTACH]

first attempt, HORRID!!!!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278357[/ATTACH]

LUV IT!!!!!!!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278358[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-278298.jpe   attachment-278299.jpe   attachment-278300.jpe   attachment-278304.jpe   attachment-278305.jpe  

Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Nice
Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 AM

What a perfect tribute to the pastor's life with his father. It was worth the aggravation. I've never put a needle in backwards, but I have threaded one from the wrong direction. I sew on three machines, all with different threading directions.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:30 AM

Touching.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:33 AM

The quilt will be well loved. Make sure to include a note with it telling it's "creation story". That's something we quilters frequently leave out of our gifts to others, and, in some cases, the 'creation story' is as full of life and love as the quilt.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

:thumbup:
Old 10-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Wow thats a beautiful quilt and love the door to.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:54 AM

What a great idea and gift. And I love the new color on your door. Now that the needle situation is fixed, you can sew, sew, sew.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:00 AM

I love the quilt and what a wonderful tribute to your pastor's father. I've done that with the backwards needle. Even took the machine to the sewing machine Dr. only to have him tell me that I'd put the needle in backwards. UGGG :(

Your door is stunning!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:10 AM

I feel your frustration! Dah moments are soooooooooooo humbling!!!