Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Newby needs advise

Blog Entries

Newby needs advise

I have a new great nephew coming in August so I want to make him a few blankets. The two I have already made were just done with blanket binding and stitching on the edge. I have 2 coordinating pieces of flannel that are 1 1/4 yards. I think I remember reading some where that some were using a sheet in between each piece and then doing quilting because of not wanting the blanket to be so heavy. Was thinking of cuting into 6-8 in squares then placing sheet in between then quilt with some really simple stitch since I only have a regular sewing machine. I would appreciate some advice.

Blog Entries
    Sure, using a sheet or muslin between 2 pieces of flannel will make a nice soft quilt. Remember to wash the flannel a couple of times before you start. Flannel often shrinks a lot.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

If you want a light blanket I would just use the 2 layers of flannel w/o the sheet in between. The other thing you could do is to make a rag quilt w/the squares and make X's across each block to quilt it.

I would make receiving blankets. Cut the 2 pieces of flannel WOF and the same length as the WOF so you have 2 squares. Round the corners using a plate. Envelope them together. Turn right side up and top stitch around the edges. Without anything in between they don't really need quilted. But if you wanted you could just sew a big X through them. If you wanted them a little fancier large rick rack could be put in the edge seams or use a fancy stitch when you top stitch.

Power Poster
    Just remember to wash, wash, wash the flannel before you start! No need to put any sheeting between the flannel pieces...it will be lighter that way. Please show us what you make!