Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Oh my Quilting Practice!!! >

Oh my Quilting Practice!!!

Oh my Quilting Practice!!!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:26 PM

I found this thing in a tub from ages past from an old relative. I know they lived through depression era- you didn't throw out anything, used everything useful, and I am sure this blanket reflects this.

I have a new Avante (LA) to play with, and I need the quilting practice. However, this thing is so ugly that I decided that maybe revising the fabric may be a better task than just throwing a back and batting on it. I had originally thought that I would just cut it in half and use it as a top and bottom, but wow. The more I looked at it, the more I saw even that is a poor choice!

Issues- the color placement is very odd! I'm thinking if I take it apart, and then make half square triangles, it would look better (pair the yellow with the black, the two plaids together, the orange with the blue (since the orange has blue in it), etc and then arrange those to get a pattern. Also, the seams are wonky- no 1/4 inch- they are crooked, corners don't match, and there is excess fabric on the seams. All of the fabrics are heavier- think an apron made of canvas and you have the weight of most of these fabrics.

So, what do you all think? It's a picnic blanket for sure- this one is never going to be anyone's prize blanket. I think as is it wins the ugly blanket contest (currently it has no back or batting).

See the corners where they don't match?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158912[/ATTACH]

Look, it even makes my railing look warped!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158913[/ATTACH]

18 large blocks in all- the green with pink stripe is the most hideous!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158914[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158907.jpe   attachment-158908.jpe   attachment-158909.jpe  
Old 02-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

It will make a wonderful practice quilt.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

I would probably just cut it into wide strips, sew the strips together into strata, and create new blocks that way. A little wonkiness inside the blocks would add charm. I wouldn't necessarily take anything apart; I would just either reinforce existing seams or sew a new seam. I'm thinking maybe 9-patch blocks made this way.

I remember a travelling quilt exhibit that showed quilts made every-which-way by poor women who didn't have rotary cutters, etc. and who just joined fabrics they had any which way. These quilts were *alive*. When we walked out past traditional quilts from the same era, the traditional quilts looked dull and static by comparison.

In my opinion, you have a potential gem here. I wouldn't worry about the wonky seam matches. The biggest problem is simply that the fabrics are cut too big. Once these fabrics are scattered throughout the quilt, they will become much more interesting.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:40 PM

You could size down each square just a little...this would get rid of the seams, then start over and put it together like you think it should go. The quilt fabrics might be more interesting in half square triangels, or maybe in 4 patches.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by sgardner
I found this thing in a tub from ages past from an old relative. I know they lived through depression era- you didn't throw out anything, used everything useful, and I am sure this blanket reflects this.

I have a new Avante (LA) to play with, and I need the quilting practice. However, this thing is so ugly that I decided that maybe revising the fabric may be a better task than just throwing a back and batting on it. I had originally thought that I would just cut it in half and use it as a top and bottom, but wow. The more I looked at it, the more I saw even that is a poor choice!

Issues- the color placement is very odd! I'm thinking if I take it apart, and then make half square triangles, it would look better (pair the yellow with the black, the two plaids together, the orange with the blue (since the orange has blue in it), etc and then arrange those to get a pattern. Also, the seams are wonky- no 1/4 inch- they are crooked, corners don't match, and there is excess fabric on the seams. All of the fabrics are heavier- think an apron made of canvas and you have the weight of most of these fabrics.

So, what do you all think? It's a picnic blanket for sure- this one is never going to be anyone's prize blanket. I think as is it wins the ugly blanket contest (currently it has no back or batting).
it is fam hx...i would back it ...tie it....and prize it.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I would probably just cut it into wide strips, sew the strips together into strata, and create new blocks that way. A little wonkiness inside the blocks would add charm. I wouldn't necessarily take anything apart; I would just either reinforce existing seams or sew a new seam. I'm thinking maybe 9-patch blocks made this way.

I remember a travelling quilt exhibit that showed quilts made every-which-way by poor women who didn't have rotary cutters, etc. and who just joined fabrics they had any which way. These quilts were *alive*. When we walked out past traditional quilts from the same era, the traditional quilts looked dull and static by comparison.

In my opinion, you have a potential gem here. I wouldn't worry about the wonky seam matches. The biggest problem is simply that the fabrics are cut too big. Once these fabrics are scattered throughout the quilt, they will become much more interesting.
I would do the same :-)
Old 02-13-2011, 01:07 PM

I really don't think it is so bad at all. If you are just looking to practice on your LA, this is perfect. Add a pretty sheet to the back and it will make a perfect picnic or car blanket.

Quilts don't have to be perfect. If you hate it when you are done then donate to the shelter or give it to a family member since there is some history there.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:26 PM

really good suggestions here.... like them all, I know, no help! I like Prism's idea...and the strip thing too.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:29 PM

I would finish as is--or cut into strips if you really cannot stand it. I LOVE the green with pink stripes, by the way!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:54 PM

quilt and use it for a dog bed?