Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Old quilt....very "different" >

Old quilt....very "different"

Old quilt....very "different"

Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 AM

Thank you to each of you who have provided links and information about this subject. It has been interesting and enlightening. Somehow the insignia it's self doesn't seem so evil anymore. Though the history of how it was used will always make all of us sick and filled with sadness. Education is always key isn't it?!!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
Wish I could remember where, but I read that this design prior to WWII was used as a Peace and Love sign.
Me too. It used to have good meanings. I thought that I had read it on here but not sure
Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 AM

Well thank you everyone for this wonderful discussion!! I will now be able to tell my MIL the true name of the quilt--Wind Power of the Osages--and that it was originally an Indian symbol for peace/love/prosperity.
I'm sure my husband's Great-Aunt Mabel would be pleased--the quilt is on my quilt rack now.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM

Thanks for all that interesting info. it sure makes lite of all the ugliness that has surrounded that symbol. I love to be educated about things like this because it gives a whole new meaning to things we were never taught in school or growing up.

Originally Posted by Dae Kuczma View Post
I have to tell you I was very excited to see this quilt pattern as my parents had one as well! After many years of raising a family, I decided to go back to college. Needless to say, HISTORY became my major. One of my areas of concentration was the Civil War/WWI/WWII era. One required course dealt with Nazi Germany. So, to make the class interesting for my fellow students, I carried my parents "red and white" quilt in to my professor for a bit of "show-n-tell. Well, I was thrilled with the response. My professor told me I should take the quilt to our research center where there was another professor of history that knew quilts. Of course, the quilt made a huge appearance! I was amazed to find out that even though it was referred to as a "Nazi" quilt, it was an American quilt design made from an Indian pattern used long before it became a "Nazi" emblem. This pattern was used during the 1800s to signify agriculture! Interesting, huh? Just thought you might like to know...........thank you for sharing the photos! I hope I was able to shed some light on your family heirloom.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by 40MPHK9 View Post
Well thank you everyone for this wonderful discussion!! I will now be able to tell my MIL the true name of the quilt--Wind Power of the Osages--and that it was originally an Indian symbol for peace/love/prosperity.
I'm sure my husband's Great-Aunt Mabel would be pleased--the quilt is on my quilt rack now.
After reading this entire thread I am so glad to hear you are displaying your beautiful quilt! It's wonderful that you can now educate your family and those that you pass it along to, so that hopefully it will be proudly displayed for many years to come.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Well, it sure is pretty! The hand quilting looks fantastic!