Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Old Tumbling blocks

I'm in the process of taking apart an old quilt of my x-daughter-in-law and incorporating sections of the blocks into 3 new quilts for the grandkids. The blocks are faded and a bit fragil. Hopefully they will hold up.

My question is, How to set them or applique them into a new quilt. And what kind of fabric to use. I don't know that using a bright fabric will look very good. Any sugguestions?
    Thanks so much,
    Judy

Grandmothers Tumbling Blocks before taken apart
    Name:  Attachment-186685.jpe
Views: 25
Size:  50.7 KB

these are great, could you make a quilt that would be patchwork and applique a piece here and there. Almost like the OBW looks with tumbling blocks.

Love the look of these old patterns and fabrics.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Hi Judy, I love those old blocks!! I think you're on the right track. I would try to get fabric that looks like the period those blocks came from rather than really bright.
    You could even go with appliquing them to muslin and then so some nice quilting. You didn't mention how big it is.
    Looking carefully at the fabrics it appears to be a blend of eras.
    Hope this helps a little.

Susan,

It was large when in one piece, between double and queen. There were so many damaged pieces. I still have quite a few left and had to repiece a lot of them. so they are now in sections of anywhere from 4 to 6 blocks in a section. Would like to make 3 lap size quilts. Not sure of the era. I was told that she thought it was made in the 60's.

Thanks for any and all advise given.
    Judy

It is beautiful. What a lovely thing to do. I would keep the new background light and applique them on with a blanket stitch on my machine. I'm not a hand person.

It is beautiful. What a lovely thing to do. I would keep the new background light and applique them on with a blanket stitch on my machine. I'm not a hand person.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Judy, glad to help! Sounds like you can get 3 lap size, hey with quilting you can do anything!!
    :D:D
    Be sure to post pics. I love old blocks!! I think I already told you that. :D:D

Blog Entries
    Hmm, no suggestion but I recognize some of those fabs. I have a few of them in my scrap tubs.