Oops! (#1 Argument for a Design Wall) >

Oops! (#1 Argument for a Design Wall)

Oops! (#1 Argument for a Design Wall)

Old 05-01-2008, 10:47 AM

or blame it on Hubby!!!(even better)
Old 05-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Izy

Originally Posted by Roben
Izy, I love your word - you're right, the 4 corners are squiffy! I actually wanted them to be like the lower right, and could have lived with them if they had been all the same no matter which direction they went. The mitered borders are already on; I may just chalk this one up as an everyday throw.

reneebobby, I think when we were looking at it we did the same thing; focused on the red to make sure the star pattern came out. There was an initial problem with the center (1st layout looked like a swastika) and we focused on fixing that. Poor corners were obviously left to fend for themselves!
Roben, I know you have completed the top, but if you ripped out the top left corner borders and the top left corner block, just turn it to match the top right block. That way it is a mirror image of the bottom, and therefore wouldn't look wrong.....it is such a shame as you have obviously put alot of work into it..... alittle bit more work and you will fall in love with it again :D :D
Old 05-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Izy

Oh no!!! Just studied the picture again, you would have to do the same with the bottom right....but more work!!! :cry:
Old 05-01-2008, 12:34 PM

S'okay Izy - the mitered borders are on already, and I do believe it's growing on me! I made up my mind quite a while back that as long as I've learned something, nothing has been wasted. I love the colors, had fun doing it and will have even more fun quilting it - and I won't have to worry about ruining a 'good' one when I quilt it, will I? LOL
Old 05-01-2008, 12:35 PM

I agree with Izy. It is a beautiful quilt, but everytime you see it, you will think "failure" or some negative thought about DH. I also suggest that you grab a big glass of iced tea, sit out on the porch on a beautiful spring day and rip it out. You will never regret it. I just consider it a discipline for losing attention. I heard a quilt guild member refer to the process as "un-sewing". That sounds so much more positive.

I developed that philosophy when I was framing my counted cross-stitch. I knew that I would see that mistake for the rest of my life locked behind glass in a very expensive frame, and I would hate it.

I bet if we could count up the total hours that this group spent unsewing, we could make a whole new quilt. :)
Old 05-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Administrator

my unsewing time often equals twice the sewing time on one project. so i guess i make 3 quilts for each one done. :lol:

when i looked at the photo, the first thing i saw was a poinsettia. don't ask me why. that's what it brough to mind.

poinsettias are flowers. they have leaves. flowers are perfectly pretty, but they are rarely perfect.

solution: quit calling it a star and start calling it a flower. :mrgreen:
Old 05-01-2008, 01:43 PM

I think it is beautiful!
I had to REALLY study it to figure out what the "fuss" was about.
I'd just leave it as is. It's YOUR creation and I for one, LOVE it!
Old 05-01-2008, 01:53 PM

Oh, your quilt is so absolutely gorgeous!!!!! I love your colours and the pattern, just beautiful. IWhen i make a mistake i call it an Amish quilt, every Amish quilt has one purposeful mistake for humility :) Now, it is very very hard to see the problem, and it would be beautiful to stay that way. But if you want to do something with it, this is what you could do. I can see that your centre panel is like a pinwheel, and that you were trying to do the same on the corners. It is only the bottom right one that needs turning, right? I don't like to rip anything out, i do everything as easy as i can, or i don't do it. I find it really hard to rip out seams, cus i usually end up getting a rip in the fabric. Sooooo, this is what can be done. Make another log cabin blogck for the bottom right corner, and applique it over top of the other one, just turn your seams under a 1/4" and hand sew in place. Then take the other cabin block underneath, and cut it out of the back of the fabric, and use that block in a scrap quilt or pillow :)
Old 05-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Izy

What a clever girl you are Barb M - you are a first class quick fixer!!! :D
Old 05-01-2008, 01:58 PM

lol that's me lol