Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Other blocks to use with mariner's compass?

Here is the second 'row' of my mariner's compass quilt. I may put a thin border of light orange fabric between the center compass and the corners. There doesn't seem to be enough contrast. Also, I'm auditioning the fabric on the bottom for a possible border around the compass grouping.

I am thinking of using 'Faceted Jewels' blocks to surround the center square, although I'm not sure exactly how yet. What do you think? Do you think it would be odd looking? Or too fussy?

http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/hs4297.shtml

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think it's lovely. I wouldn't change a thing. You do beautiful work.

Blog Entries
    I like the idea of adding the orange sashing. I'm not too sure about the 'Faceted Jewels' blocks, though. Are you looking to make a larger quilt? What are the current dimensions and how much bigger are you looking to go?

I wouldn't change a thing either. I think the faceted jewels might make it tooo busy.

What a nice looking quilt. Love the colors.

This is supposed to be the center of a king-sized bed quilt, so it needs to be much bigger :) Currently it's a little bigger than 3 feet square.

I agree, I think Faceted Jewels is too busy for the quilt. Use a block that isn't so busy that it competes with the compass and use the orange or red color again somewhere in the quilt, but keep it low key. I love the colors you have chosen.

A thin orange border would be nice. I'd keep other blocks simple, so as to not detract from the gorgeous stars~ JMHO

I would do either black or cream color as a first boarder around the compass and not the orange but that is me. the jewels pattern is nice but I think that it might be a bit busy for the compass however. maybe find some really really really simple star blocks to surround the compass and or maybe some nice landscape fabric? I have two quilts that i have posted on here that I used different blocks with a mariners type compass block. I do love the fabric that you are looking at for the boarder though. it will be very lovely. it is your quilt though, you know how you want it too look. go with your gut.

I like the block.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast