Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Part 2 on my Diamond log Cabin Star >

Part 2 on my Diamond log Cabin Star

Part 2 on my Diamond log Cabin Star

Old 12-13-2010, 01:34 PM

:D :D :D Hey Dunster... heelllppp I don't know what I'm doing wrong herer , but my pieces are not laying flat, but love how the colors are going to gether. Grrrr Maybe there is some thing I'm not understanding. Huggies, Fay...The picture are a tad fuzzy, but you can see how they lay.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-142897.jpe   attachment-142898.jpe  
Old 12-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Gorgeous blocks! They don't look too bad in terms of distortion, so I would "block" the pieces to size. Sharon Schamber has a couple of videos on Youtube that show how to block using spray starch and an iron.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful color selection! I got your pm, and I don't understand what you mean when you say "they fit perfect one way and not the other way ". I can't see a problem from the pictures. When you lay your blocks on the template, do they match up exactly? If they do, then they will go together perfectly. Maybe another picture of a block on top of a template would help. I'm sorry you're getting frustrated.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:59 PM

I'm not really frustrated, but I thought maybe I didn't know how to use the template right. I lay the block down on it and it might fit the diagram right, but if I turn the block around and lay it down again it might be a tad wider than the template. Later after I get my camera batteries rechagred I will take another picture or two to show you how I mean. I is a pretty color combination that I have and I have plenty of fabric so it isn't a problem to remake some of these blockes. Thanks in advance, Huggies, Fay
Old 12-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Banned

they are distorted by being stitched on the bias. the best way to resolve this is to prestarch before cutting out all your strip pieces.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:30 PM

This is so beautiful can't want to see it finished. :D
Old 12-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
they are distorted by being stitched on the bias. the best way to resolve this is to prestarch before cutting out all your strip pieces.
No, none of the strips are cut or stitched on the bias. The pattern directions do include using starch.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:04 PM

Maybe that's what I didn't do. I have a little bit of startch so I'll try that. This is a new camera that I have and have not figured out how to move picture to the computer and I cliked where it says to get photos and it loaded every thing that is stored on my Maxtor!!! Including my embroidery designs. So once I get it all figured out I'll load them and post so I can show you what I mean when I laid a block on the template sheet. Might not be tonight. Grrr I hate getting new things that I know nothing about. LOL!!!!! But my old camera conked out and this is a Christmas present from me to me. LOL! Well take care and I'll get pictures posted as I'm going to try it the way I always have been doing it. Oh and this is a HD camera too. Better color! Huggies, Fay..............Ok here are some of the ways I placed it on the template sheet so which is right, as you can see it fits on one of the areas and not on others
Attached Thumbnails attachment-142982.jpe   attachment-142983.jpe   attachment-142984.jpe   attachment-142985.jpe  
Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

OK, first refer back to the directions on the template and in the pattern. You should be using the template to check the size and shape of your block every time you add a log, and the block is always placed in the lower right corner of the template. The block needs to be pressed flat, and each time you add a log the block will just reach another line of the template. I can't say for sure, with the block not laying flat, but it looks like you have been taking more than 1/4" seams. That's not really a problem, if you've been consistent with the seam width on each block. The good news is that it looks like the shape of the block is right, but again I can't tell for sure without the block pressed flat.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
OK, first refer back to the directions on the template and in the pattern. You should be using the template to check the size and shape of your block every time you add a log, and the block is always placed in the lower right corner of the template. The block needs to be pressed flat, and each time you add a log the block will just reach another line of the template. I can't say for sure, with the block not laying flat, but it looks like you have been taking more than 1/4" seams. That's not really a problem, if you've been consistent with the seam width on each block. The good news is that it looks like the shape of the block is right, but again I can't tell for sure without the block pressed flat.
Thank you,, I'll get it down pat fore sure and this is one quilt I want to finish and have it to put on the couch. It will be too big for my bed so it will be great for the couch and it matches the colors in my living room. Thanks again. Huggies, Fay. I'm just learning this new camera so the pictures still aren't great, but will get that down pat also. :lol: