Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Patty's first ever Round Robin quilt completed >

Patty's first ever Round Robin quilt completed

Patty's first ever Round Robin quilt completed

Old 03-09-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by watson's mom
Patty..the other two quilts are beautiful. It is amazing how different fabrics changed the look. Thanks for taking the time to answer. Carol
Carol,
Thank you Carol. It is interesting how different fabrics can make such a dramatic change in the look. You can see in the CW's quilt, the white squares that I think would be great to use for photos for a memory quilt. The 38 year quilt is a queen and has more borders on it. The other two are twin sized quilts. Although I'm a hand quilter, I did do each of the twin quilts in less than a year but I'm retired and quilt at every opportunity which helps. Prior to retirement, while working full time and keeping up with a family it would take me 18 months to 4 years to complete a quilt depending on life and how things were going. If you're a machine quilter, this pattern would be easy to do and you could churn these out quickly with ease.
Glad you enjoyed seeing them.
Patty
Old 03-09-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by watson's mom
Patty..the other two quilts are beautiful. It is amazing how different fabrics changed the look. Thanks for taking the time to answer. Carol
You've just seen one of my butterfly quilts. If you'd like to see the other one, go to the new photos and look for Patty's butterfly throw. I made it using left over material from my 3 butterfly quilts. The 3rd one is a twin size and isn't completed yet but will be in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I do quilt as you go in panels so now I'm to the add and quilt the border and bind it off time.
Patty
Old 03-12-2010, 03:02 PM

Wow, Patty everyone did a superb job and it looks like it was intended to be made that way. Everyone is so talented and creative!!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:01 PM

Just lovely! What a talented group!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 03-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Gal

I am learning about these shared collaborations, this is beautiful, Well done all!

Gal
Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Google Goddess

beautiful
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
beautiful
Thank you Karen. This quilt as are ALL of my quilts have all been hand quilted WITHOUT a hoop or frame. Just thought I'd let you know since you posted the question to the board. Also, those who are now doing it in my chapter telling me it's a lot easier on them to quilt this way - less pain for those who have pain for one reason or another. I was amazed at the meeting last night when one of our experienced machine quilters came over and asked me for instructions on how to hand quilt as she's decided she wants to give it a try. In the course of the conversation, with basically the entire group standing around my table where I was hand quilting without a hoop, our male member told us that he has now set aside his hoop and is "quilting like Patty." Since he has a mid arm quilt machine and is very good without, I thought he'd give up his hand quilting but he said no as this is how he can relax in the evening and spend time with his wife. He gave up the hoop because it was causing him pain in the shoulders and neck - which is where I had gotten pain too plus my upper arm muscles. With quilting without a hoop, the only pain I experience now is when I stick my finger. I highly recommend it because you can sit in a comfortable chair with your feet elevated, relax and watch TV while you "torture your fingers." I'm finally just now learning how to use a thimble. Normally I prefer a bandaid or masking tape on my fingers to protect them but the quilt I'm working on is a bit thicker fabric so I've had to use a leather thimble - the black ones. Also, if you try this, have a tub of Bag Balm on hand to dip your fingers into at the end of your quilting day to heal your sore fingers over night - it really works unless you get a bad jab which does happen.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:21 PM

spectacular final border!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Patty,
I have been told that I can handquilt without a hoop or frame but I'm afraid to try it...but when I put my quilt in the hoop, I have to support it on a table which take up a lot of room and I after only a few stitches, I start getting pain in my shoulders. I think I will attempt quilting without a hoop or frame. Thank you for the encouragement.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Calif Jane
spectacular final border!
Thank you. I love the scalloped border. The hardest part for me was figuring out how to sandwich it as I wasn't sure I wanted to tackle binding it off but with a narrow border, it works just fine. I'll be binding off another one in about 2 months and can't remember what size I used. This time I'll need to make a note somewhere for future reference but it was either 1 inch or 1-1/2 inch strip. I'm pretty sure it was 1 inch as I machine sew it on with a 1/4 inch seam, fold it over which takes 1/4 inch and the back side will be another 1/4 inch with 1/4 inch folded over and then I hand stitch it in place. I love how they look on a quilt.