Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
pincushion >

pincushion

pincushion

Old 07-29-2010, 08:35 AM

Very cool :) What are you ladies stuffing yours with? The little red "tomato" pin cushions feel like they're stuffed with saw dust. I've had a magnetic pin cushion for 20 years that I couldn't bare to part with LOL
Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 AM

yes, good question....I heard "hair", sand, batting....what's the favorite for those of you who have made some????
Old 07-29-2010, 10:06 AM

I put a piece of steel wool (fine) in the middle and then shape scraps of batting around it I stuff it fairly firm.The steel wool helps to keep your pins sharp
Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 PM

I saw the cutest pincushions at a quilt shop in Eureka, CA while we were on our get out of the heat vacation today. Someone took metal cookie cutters and filled them with stuffing and cut the material for the cushions from the cookie cutter shape plus 1/4" seams and made the pincushion pillow to fit inside the cookie cutter. There were also some made using tart pans as a base and the pincushion was made to replicate a pastry.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by T-Bones mom
That is so ironic. I went to Jo Ann's today with my daughter to pick up a piece of flannel to finish off a baby quilt. When I got home my new lab had chewed up my pin cushion and had pins and stuffing strung all thru the house. I will have to keep an eye on her to make sure she did not swallow any. And yes, I did have it put up but she is a pup and is very tall and likes to explore. She can reach just about anywhere now. I am in the process of making another one. She is bad at times but I love her so that I can't get mad at her.
That is so funny, because when I was making my pincushion for swap #4, my 4 month old granddog chewed it twice. The first time, she lost a tooth and I had to clean up blood. The second time, she pulled out every single pin in about 2 minutes. I ended up putting a decorative butterfly on it with a cross in the middle. Actually ended up cuter in the end, so I guess things work out the way they are suppposed to.