Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
possible watercolor floral log cabin designs... >

possible watercolor floral log cabin designs...

possible watercolor floral log cabin designs...

Old 04-09-2009, 04:54 PM

The designs are from Judy Martin's Log Cabin book. They are based on 8 by 8 square lay-outs, but I'll need more than that, maybe 11-12 and I will probably want to go with a rectangular shape. So, the design needs to be expandable.

I haven't decided on a design yet, and will try more later, when I have more squares done, BUT #1 is looking most like what I had in mind. Now I'm thinking I won't want borders on this quilt--I don't want it to be boxed in. :wink:

#1 It seems to incorporate both the darks-in and the lights-in designs...and is easily expandable in any direction.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...llogcabin1.jpg[/img]

#2 This looks like it has a flower in the middle, but it's a tough one to expand unless I come up with a new idea for all the edges.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...llogcabin2.jpg[/img]

#3 Now that I look... this one is exactly like #1!!! :shock: Sheesh, wish I noticed that before I turned all those squares. :lol: :roll:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...llogcabin3.jpg[/img]

Old 04-09-2009, 05:12 PM

OO I love # 1 also.. it will be so beautiful! WOW
Old 04-09-2009, 05:16 PM

Your log cabin is going to be beautiful.

I read or someone told me that the original log cabin quilts did not have borders on them. Perhaps Loretta would know.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

I like the #1 best too, but any way you do it is going to be just beautiful!! Can't wait to see it finished.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:30 PM

Oh gosh--will I ever be able to get all those squares where I think they should go? Like flowers together? Like flower apart? Too many pinks together? Purples? Sunflowers? Oh boy. Then, what are the chances I'll actually get every square turned the right direction? I'll get dizzy! :shock: :lol: :roll:
Old 04-09-2009, 05:43 PM

Definitely #1!!

When you get ready to put it together, lay it all out and number each one with a small scrap of paper and pin it on. (I have to pin mine on or else the cat moves the little pieces of paper around :oops: :oops: :oops: ) And the way you pin the number on, would indicate orientation of the block. Does that make sense??
Old 04-09-2009, 05:49 PM

They are beautiful!!!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:51 PM

Your quilt is going to be lovely.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:05 PM

I agree! Your quilt will be beautiful!
Old 04-09-2009, 06:07 PM

sewjoyce--what I've done with the others--and ragged flannels--anything that has a pattern really--is lay it out, take a photo of it, pick the rows up in order--label the rows with sticky notes, stack them...print the photo and tape it to the file by my sewing machine... then study each two squares to attempt getting it right... and STILL I goof it up. I'll check it row by row so I can fix mistakes without too much trouble. :wink:

Odd note:
Haha--see the jug of blue liquid? It's a gallon of Novalsan--used to disinfect stalls and mix with water to dip umbilical cords. :lol: It's left over from two years ago and has expired..but I'm going to use it for stalls anyway, just to use some up. I have new stuff from the vet for cords. It held the book open nicely so I could see what I was doing. :D