I just completed this scrappy top called Pulsar. I used navy, indigo, and plum for the star points; I used shades of cream with a slight hint of peach in them for the backgrounds; and then a large assortment of medium values.
I find that I like scrap quilts that contain an element of continuity - something that unifies all the different fabrics. In this case it is the star points and the alternating blocks of tan and orange on the sides of each block.
The pattern was found in a 1994 Quiltmaker magazine. Of course the fabrics were very different 19 years ago, but the effect was the same. The blocks are 12.5" finished. The size of the top is a long twin.
Have a great day folks!