Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   "Square Dance" gifted blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/%22square-dance%22-gifted-blocks-t20463.html)

flowergirlWard17 05-23-2009 08:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello Everyone!

I received these blocks from my sister-in-law who doesn't quilt. I am looking for the original pattern. Some of the ladies here have already drafted the pattern on their EQ programs, but I am still looking for the source.

The blocks have been signed by many of their makers. I believe this was a block-of-the month swap or a special group block project for a quilt guild or church group, because one of the blocks is signed and dated with the following inscription: "Made for Margaret Griffiths and her grandchildren in 1994 by Julie Nodine".
One of the blocks had an old address label stuck to the back - so I'm writing a letter and sending it out today asking for more details on these blocks and how I could contact Margaret Griffiths or any surviving grandchildren.

I have about 40 blocks - enough for 2 queen sized quilts in my setting idea I drafted OR two twin quilts to give back to the intended recipients and one queen size or 2 twin size for me to keep.

Some came to the dance with "Dates" and some came "Stag". I had fun matching them up.

If ANYONE has any ideas on the source for the original block please let me know.

I will post some more pictures and pictures of my ideas for setting next. I have a title for the quilt - "Square Dance" - and I have some ideas on how to set the blocks. I plan on grouping them together in square dance sets around a center medallion. I plan on using blue chambray work shirt material, light blue "white Collar" work shirt material, and red-and-cream country homespun for borders. I want to use a plainer background material to set off the different colors and details of the blocks.

For those of you who are drafting this block on your own, I will only add as an addendum that many of the boy blocks have 3-D folded triangles as "collars".

Enn the flowergirl

I love the guy in the cow shirt and funky pants.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36198[/ATTACH]

I am floored by these details such as the baseball bat and the lizard in the boy's pocket!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43858[/ATTACH]

All of these blocks are so different. These details are amazing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43859[/ATTACH]

kluedesigns 05-23-2009 08:57 AM

these blocks are just adorable.

Debbie1 05-23-2009 09:04 AM

Those are very cute!

flowergirlWard17 05-23-2009 09:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello again,

Here are the ideas I drew up for setting these blocks. I at first thought I would have a pinwheel block in the middle to indicate a "whirling" movement of the dance, but I think I like the idea of the center medallion squared off by triangles. I am drawing a blank on what to put in the center medallion, but my last quilt class of the semester is this Tuesday, so I will solicit ideas from the ladies in my class.

If I don't reply or get back to anyone right away, don't panic. I never received any notification of replies from my last posting so I didn't think anyone replied last time. I will check in a lot sooner this time. And please give me time to work on this! I won't cut any fabric until I have the design all worked out first.

Enn the Flowergirl

I like this better, but need an idea for the center medallion. Applique? Pieced? Flower baskets? The fiddler?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]35056[/ATTACH]

I think the center pinwheel is too big.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36139[/ATTACH]

these are just a few of the blocks I received as a gift.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36200[/ATTACH]

Ninnie 05-23-2009 09:19 AM

I had to go get a napkin to wipe the drool off my chin! :shock:

You have truly fallen into wonderful blocks! I love them all and so glad you posted more!

Love the idea of having a fiddler in the middle! :D :D

More, More I sfay. I want to see them all! :lol: :lol:

Ninnie

Kyiav10 05-23-2009 09:51 AM

Lovely!!!

Kyia

Shemjo 05-23-2009 09:57 AM

Oh how lovely! I like the idea of a fiddle in the middle, but wouldn't want to distract from the kids!

BlueChicken 05-23-2009 02:38 PM

Wow... they're even more amazing than the last lot!

It's becoming quite a mystery, I can't wait to find out more about these blocks, where they came from, why they were made, why they never quite made it into a quilt. Good luck with the search!

You're right about the setting, the pinwheel is too big. The idea of a fiddler also sounds nice, but may detract from the blocks and become a focal point. What about keeping it simple and using a nice musical print in the centre diamond? That way you bring in the music, without creating too much of an interest point.

b.zang 05-23-2009 03:17 PM

I am wondering if those blocks need some thin sashing to keep the clothing separate.

Thank you for posting more pictures!! They are eye candy.

BlueChicken 05-23-2009 03:21 PM

The ones I have made have no matching points.... no matter which way they go the points that hit the side are not against the point from the other block, so I wouldn't put any sashing between them.