Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   "Stars" quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/%22stars%22-quilt-t159408.html)

yolanda 10-10-2011 09:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I started these during a QAL from "Happy Quilting" ... I had intended on making my kidney donor a quilt and this was for her ... I made about 18 of the stars and then got really bored with the pattern/technique... the host taught us to make flying geese with no fabric waste or triangle piecing..it's a great technique I just lost interest... we were supposed to make 6 of each pattern so I only made 3 of the 8 patterns.. :-( ..I feel bad and want to start over for my donors quilt but my dilema is I am on a deadline... I want to give it to her for Christmas... I am making 7 more random stars today then will border the 25 blocks, lay them out and see how it looks.. what do you think? PS.. I work full time and have no time to start & finish a new quilt by Christmas....

Murphy 10-10-2011 09:30 AM

Don't think about the pattern or technique. Think about why you are doing it and who you are making it for. That should take away any boredom that is felt.

Tallulah 10-10-2011 09:32 AM

I like what you have so far. Make the few more and put it together. It will be pretty.

PaperPrincess 10-10-2011 09:32 AM

Alternate star blocks with plain background squares, or use wide sashing.
Great start!

irishrose 10-10-2011 09:33 AM

Those are beautiful stars. Your choice of fabrics is lovely. If you're worried about it being large enough can you add sashing? That would increase the size quickly without doing too many more blocks. 4 blocks by 5 blocks with sashing should make a decent size lap quilt or your 5 by 5. My last few lap quilts have been square.

yolanda 10-10-2011 09:33 AM

Thank you so much - I will take that piece of wisdom and go make some stars .... I forgot to mention the fabric is not to my taste color wish but it is to who the quilt is being made for!

Originally Posted by Murphy
Don't think about the pattern or technique. Think about why you are doing it and who you are making it for. That should take away any boredom that is felt.

cowpie2 10-10-2011 09:34 AM

I think the "Stars" look great. If you are tired of making them, lay them out and fill in with sashing or borders to achieve the finished quilt size you want. The recipient will never know that wasn't the original plan.

yolanda 10-10-2011 09:34 AM

oh sashing and 4x5 ... maybe i will only make two more...

Originally Posted by irishrose
Those are beautiful stars. Your choice of fabrics is lovely. If you're worried about it being large enough can you add sashing? That would increase the size quickly without doing too many more blocks. 4 blocks by 5 blocks with sashing should make a decent size lap quilt or your 5 by 5. My last few lap quilts have been square.

yolanda 10-10-2011 09:35 AM

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I am going to go walk the dogs then get to sewing... I have today off and most of it is dedicated to finishing this quilt!

Willa 10-10-2011 09:37 AM

It looks fine as is but if you feel you want it bigger how about sashing.