Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   10 yrs. later & it still looks great! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/10-yrs-later-still-looks-great-t208078.html)

imnywoman 12-12-2012 05:12 AM

That's wonderful!! I agree, I knew nothing and the first quilt is still going strong. I can't say that for a few others, especially the free motioned ones that I purchased "special" thread for.They will be looking for medical attention sometime in the future, lol!

cowgirlquilter 12-12-2012 05:14 AM

Absolutely wonderful!

cherrio 12-12-2012 05:47 AM

you have just encouraged me to finish a few of my first tops. I look at them and then look at a few pics here on the board and was always SURE that nobody would want em if I did finish em. your quilt is great, it's loved and well used. My daughters are right and as long as the quilting PoPo don't show up-I'm gonna warm up 4 of the kids beds. and several folks at the mission too. lol thanks for sharing

Grace MooreLinker 12-12-2012 05:55 AM

How great that it has worn with love. quilts are real treasures, I've made #'s of them for kids/grand kids they love them.
thanks for sharing.

jbj137 12-12-2012 07:45 AM

Very nice job.

MargeD 12-12-2012 11:12 AM

Sometimes marching to a different drummer can take us on a fantastic journey. I made a bright blue/black triple Irish chain for my son, my third quilt, using very thin polyester batting (now I only use Warm & Natural) and a 6-yard remnant of a small leopard print (his choice) for $1/yd.at a discount store. I think he was about 12 at the time I made the quilt, and it stayed on his bed, went with him when he moved in with his first "girl-friend", it camehome with him every time they fought and then came back again when the relationship ended (thankfully, she was not a nice person), but that quilt could tell quite a story I'm sure. I'm still amazed that it looked good after all that.

cat2quilt 12-12-2012 11:16 AM

Beautiful story and a great quilt.

solstice3 12-12-2012 02:39 PM

If it works that's what counts. I made my niece a quilt out of polyester blocks with a polyester back and knotted at the corner of the blocks. It has lasted over 30 years. Cudos to it's survival not necessarily its maker or materials

twinkie 12-12-2012 04:06 PM

This is one of the best threads I have seen in a long time. I get tired of being told that a quilt is not quality unless you purchase the fabric from a LQS. Or, it is not going to last if you buy fabric from a "chain" store because that fabric is not of good quality. Thank you so much for making me feel good about my quilting. Merry Christmas.

Lori S 12-12-2012 04:31 PM

My first quilts where all done with scraps from garments. We paid no attention to what the fiber content was... we just used what was available. Quilts were some of the original upcycling. I too used whatever thread was in the (at that time 5 for $1.00) , batting choice was so limited... and poly was the only thing available ...and yes they all survived some extreme use !
Would we have some artists if they all followed one set of rules?! Would have inovation if tradition was the only method?!
Sew what makes you happy!