Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   2 MODELS OF SINGER FEATHERWEIGHTS (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/2-models-singer-featherweights-t131628.html)

Crazy Quiltin Robin 06-19-2011 09:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
both models were made by Singer and both are smaller and lightweight .....I saw a post by a person earlier on the board that she had purchased a Singer Featherweight for $10.00 at
a yard sale or estate sale and she was so proud to have it .... my guess is she found one of these rare little late model Featherweights ...... they also are awesome little machines
I think the little newer one was made in the 70s or 80s cant find anything on it will research it later today .......

the coveted older featherweight
[ATTACH=CONFIG]213828[/ATTACH]

and the younger featherweight
[ATTACH=CONFIG]213829[/ATTACH]

Prism99 06-19-2011 09:35 AM

The newer featherweight is not a collectible model. People sometimes do find older model featherweights for $10! However, that has become more and more rare over time....

Crazy Quiltin Robin 06-19-2011 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
The newer featherweight is not a collectible model. People sometimes do find older model featherweights for $10! However, that has become more and more rare over time....

\

Prism99, you are correct, but my point is that newer folks to sewing may not know that the newer featherweight is not the coveted one ..... and think they have the collectible one ....... but you are definitely right that machine is not collectible yet it may be someday because I dont think they made that many of them ...I am blessed to have both .....

GreatStarter 06-19-2011 10:50 AM

I too have a newer featherweight, bought in the early 1980's. It's a good little machine, however it does have some plastic parts inside. Learned that when I went to a quilting retreat-after three days of sewing it no longer would work. No matter what we tried it just wouldn't sew correctly. I had to resort to sewing by hand, or using a borrowed machine when another retreater wasn't using hers. It taught me an expensive lesson (five day retreat with hundreds of quilters-expensive to go to)
I now own an OLD black featherweight that sews for days on end without refusing to work.
Kat

Sewfine 06-19-2011 11:41 AM

They both looks good.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-19-2011 12:25 PM

It's good to show pics so newer people will know the difference. Hope it helps someone.

MoMiMi 06-19-2011 01:35 PM

One day I hope to have an older Featherweight, just like Mom sewed on when I was growing up in the 50's.

intoquilting 06-19-2011 02:10 PM

This is the first new featherweight that I have seen. Thanks for posting the picture of yours.

vivianv 06-20-2011 06:33 AM

Thank you for the pictures. I have a '41 featherweight, but had never seen what the newer ones look like. Interesting to see the difference.

jljack 06-20-2011 09:50 AM

One of the definate advantages to the vintage sewing machines is that ALL the parts are metal, and they will run for 100 years or more if cared for. The newer machines have gone all plastic, and sooner or later those parts wear down and can be costly to replace.

I'll take my vintage machines any day over the modern ones!