Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Another One Block Wonder quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/another-one-block-wonder-quilt-t20876.html)

k3n 06-03-2009 05:43 AM

I love it dunster! The kaleidoscopes are so distinct and it's a really beautiful effect! Same question I asked before - sorry to be a pain! Can you post a close up of the original fabric? It's SOOOO interesting to see what kind of fabric gives what effect and helps me in my 'training' for future K quilts! Promise I won't copy you again! LOL

K x

sewjoyce 06-03-2009 06:17 AM

I really like it! The colors are great!

dunster 06-03-2009 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by k3n
I love it dunster! The kaleidoscopes are so distinct and it's a really beautiful effect! Same question I asked before - sorry to be a pain! Can you post a close up of the original fabric? It's SOOOO interesting to see what kind of fabric gives what effect and helps me in my 'training' for future K quilts! Promise I won't copy you again! LOL

K x

I wish I had taken a picture of the fabric before I cut it up. Now all I have left are scraps. Here's a picture that shows the border, which is the original fabric. The repeat was only about 12 inches. I think a bigger repeat and larger pattern makes for a better OBW, but those are hard to find.

gaigai 06-03-2009 12:56 PM

Very nice. I can't wait to do one of my own!

k3n 06-03-2009 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Very nice. I can't wait to do one of my own!

Well get on with it then! You've got about four hours left in each day, haven't you?! :mrgreen:

Dunster - that print works really well! I've spent hours on the internet looking at prints wondering how they'd work! It's fascinating (well, to me, anyway!) I even find myself looking at ppls clothes on TV and wondeering if the fabric would work! :D

K x

k_jupiter 06-04-2009 03:24 AM

Looks like a whole lot of "Y" seams done very nicely. You have agreat sense of color.

tim in san jose

k3n 06-04-2009 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
Looks like a whole lot of "Y" seams done very nicely. You have agreat sense of color.

tim in san jose

Tim, the way I do it, and I think dunster uses the same method, you have no Y seams. You join the hexagons in half blocks then join them in rows, so you have only straight seams. :D

K x

k_jupiter 06-04-2009 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by k3n

Originally Posted by k_jupiter

tim in san jose

Tim, the way I do it, and I think dunster uses the same method, you have no Y seams. You join the hexagons in half blocks then join them in rows, so you have only straight seams. :D

K x

That's how I would have done it, but I thought I was just being a cheater. *L*
Lots of planning ot get all the hexagons lined up that way. In either case, well done.

tim in san jose

k3n 06-04-2009 05:10 AM

Tim - you pin the halves together then when you're happy with the layout, you take them down a row at a time with a pin in the top so you keep it the right way up - easy peasy!

K x

k3n 06-04-2009 06:15 AM

Just wanted to add that I am no way belittling dunster's wonderful work! The skill in piecing and assembling and the artistic and design ability in achieving a balanced layout are wonderful! I only meant to encourage others to give this technique a try - it's my latest 'craze'! :D

No offence meant to you AT ALL dunster! :D

K x