Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Baby Quilt Finished: sheep, owls, and apples (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/baby-quilt-finished-sheep-owls-apples-t210918.html)

Fuzzykittenbutt 01-14-2013 02:44 AM

Baby Quilt Finished: sheep, owls, and apples

4 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

some of you may remember the baby quilt I started for a friend way back last Spring. I had asked for some advice on quilting it in this thread. Thanks again to everyone who gave me advice! I did hand quilt it and finally decided on outline quilting around all of the applique. For the sky I drew two wispy clouds with a swirl on their ends and made cardboard templates to transfer them onto the quilt. There are some grass clumps quilted into the meadow and in the borders with the flowers I outline quilted every third flower and its stem. Not sure how much of the quilting you can see in the pics...the lighting was unfortunately not that good when I finally gave them the quilt as a late Christmas present. I've anonymized the baby's name on the back (that's what the thick black line is in the card the owl's holding). Anyway, enough jabbering and on to the pics! :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]388004[/ATTACH]
Front

[ATTACH=CONFIG]388005[/ATTACH]
Close-Up of Center Panel

[ATTACH=CONFIG]388006[/ATTACH]
Back

[ATTACH=CONFIG]388007[/ATTACH]
Close-Up of Label
Translation: May your dreams lend you wings!

The purple fabric on the owl's body on the back is the main fabric of the first quilt I ever made (and finished!). It also appears again as the binding. I wanted to establish a connection with that first quilt and I think the fabric worked nicely, although unfortunately its too dark to tell in these pictures, I think. This quilt is only the second quilt that I have finished and the first one I've used the applique technique on. It was a lot of work but so much worth it and I love how it turned out (although there are a lot of little mistakes in it! I learned a lot!). The baby's mom tells me that he's fascinated by all the colors and different patterns on the quilt and will soon be entering the tactile stage of his development...he just discovered that he has hands and is currently busy using them to chew on rather than to feel new textures. So soon he should be enjoying the feel of the faux lamb's wool on the larger sheep of the quilt.

Hope you all enjoy it too!

Donna H-M 01-14-2013 03:00 AM

So cute and very nicely done :thumbup:

cairns 01-14-2013 04:21 AM

Very nicely done. It is absolutely adorable.
You should be very proud
LC

pcraddock 01-14-2013 04:23 AM

love your quilt , you did and excellent job , keep going , cant wait to see more from you , again , great job

QuiltnNan 01-14-2013 04:50 AM

it's a darling quilt

sandyl 01-14-2013 04:53 AM

That is adorable. Love those sheep and owl.

QUILTNMO 01-14-2013 04:57 AM

precious quilt love the owl!!!!

alikat110 01-14-2013 04:58 AM

Great job!!!

lillybeck 01-14-2013 04:58 AM

So cute and very well done

Rylandon3 01-14-2013 05:01 AM

It is so adorable!