Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Baby Quilt - I didn't know tied quilts counted (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/baby-quilt-i-didnt-know-tied-quilts-counted-t21486.html)

Lisa T 06-17-2009 08:34 PM

This quilt is so special. These kind of quilts are my absolute favorites! I have a quilt that was left in my great-grandma;s basement as a top and my mom tied it off and gave it to me for my birthday, oh, ten years after great-gma died. We were all crying. It's my most treasured quilt, because it could never be replaced.

I agree with amma about making a label- future generations will be grateful for that.

And absolutely tied quilts count! I do it sometimes if I am in a hurry. I notice that they don't last as long, though- most of mine that are tied I am now slowly just adding hand quilting around the ties and then cutting the ties off. But we use our quilts really hard- I have a 3 and a 5 yr old- both boys. So the quilts around here get a little beat up, what with forts and picnics and the like.:-)

Susy 06-17-2009 08:44 PM

I like the tied quilts, they just look so cozy and scream to be used!

Debbie1 06-17-2009 09:41 PM

What a treasure you have created!

SulaBug 06-17-2009 10:42 PM

Your tied baby quilt turned out gorgeous!!
It will be a well loved treasure, forever.
Great job & thank you for sharing.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Somebunny 06-18-2009 06:48 AM

I never really knew about labeling quilts until this site, but I plan to make one and add it next time I see this neice. I have an embroidery machine so it will be easy to do. I do not have close ups of the tieing, but I used a tan colored, embroidery thread and finished with a nice boy scout knot. I have learned and enjoyed SO much from all of you on this site, I just want to say thank you. I'm on this site in our truck driving down the road now. :D

Bevanger 06-18-2009 07:20 AM

FANTASTIC JOB! I tie all my quilts/blankets as you see in all my pics. I don't use batting , I just put fleece on the back.

Boston1954 06-19-2009 02:44 PM

A beautiful job. She will have something to hand down to the baby. And, who knows, if it is a girl, she may take up quilting.

Feathers 06-24-2009 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by lakehouse97449
I didn't know tied quilts counted until I saw a beautiful one from someone else amongst all these wonderful pictures. So I guess I have finished a quilt. Here is my favorite as it contains fabrics from both my mother and grandmother. I saved pajamas and pretty shirts after their passings knowing some day a deserving person would appreciate their value. It went to a niece, the first grandaughter/great grandaughter to have a baby in the family.

Your quilt is lovely and even more so when you and your family look at it and remember "oh! that was dad's shirt that he wore on that camp trip we took to the beach," or "I remember grandma wore that blouse when she made cookies for our girl scout troupe." Great memories and now another generation can learn about the fabrics and people who helped make the quilt possible. Lucky neice and her baby! Great job.

Diane007 11-24-2012 06:22 PM

very nice quilt.......

LoisM 11-24-2012 06:36 PM

What a sweet, sweet sentiment. I bet it was hard to let go of.