Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Baby Quilt for my "Other Granddaughter" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/baby-quilt-my-other-granddaughter-t171631.html)

Quilting Nonnie 12-10-2011 03:44 PM

Baby Quilt for my "Other Granddaughter"

2 Attachment(s)
My daughter grew up with a friend. They met in third grade and stayed friends right through to now...22 years later. They spent a lot of time at our house. One summer they decided to spend a whole month sleeping over with each other. Between her mom and I, they managed to be at one or the others house for that month.

Jen, my daughter's friend, came from a rougher home life and loved being at our house. Another summer I helped my kids and Jen make entries for the fair. They submitted baked goods and crafts.

Jen started calling me her "other mother" in high school. She is very dear to me. She sends my husband and I birthday cards and ones for Mother and Father's Day every year.

Now Jen and her hubby are expecting their first baby in January. The other night they had a baby shower and I made a quilt for my "other granddaughter."

I quilted around each square by machine then tied all the rest of the quilt. I used a hand quilting method of burying the thread so strings wouldn't be available to baby.

Most of the squares and rectangles were meant to be quilt labels. On each of those I wrote two baby milestones of the first year, like first smile, first laugh, sits up alone, crawls, etc. I gave her the pigma pen I had used so she can write on it when baby passes each milestone. It will make a nice keepsake.

I used one of the squares on the back to make a label. The computer wouldn't upload that picture. I'm just glad I got the other two up.

I'm going on and on, I know. This is the first finished quilt I've had in about a year. I've been working on The Farmer's Wife quilt with all its 110-6" blocks. Lots of fun, but about all I can manage to do.

Crqltr 12-10-2011 03:48 PM

Very nice, she will love it.

Vivian Ketron 12-10-2011 03:51 PM

That is soo cute. I'm sure she will love it.

Quilting Nonnie 12-10-2011 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know why only 3/4 of the quilt showed. Probably because I didn't compress it to a smaller size. I'll try again.

Material Witness 12-10-2011 03:52 PM

What a great idea!! This is such a treasure, you know you'll have to make one for all of their future kids. (The first one gets all the good stuff)
------- Second-born

Quilting Nonnie 12-10-2011 03:53 PM

Well, that didn't help, did it?

BrendaK 12-10-2011 04:01 PM

:thumbup: How special from a special person in her life. God bless you and the new baby. BrendaK

quiltinggirl 12-10-2011 04:21 PM

Precious!!

Tweety2911 12-10-2011 04:28 PM

Super cute! Enjoyed your story.

Murphy 12-10-2011 04:31 PM

Very beautiful and what a wonderful keepsake for the baby and parents as well. Great job; made with much love. Thank you for sharing.