Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Batik blue green Jelly roll, my first pantograph (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/batik-blue-green-jelly-roll-my-first-pantograph-t118504.html)

feline fanatic 04-24-2011 12:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Another client quilt from my friend Meg. The jury is still out for me on pantos. This was my first and while it was quick and easy (always good :wink: ) I found myself getting bored with it. I definitely like working from the front of the machine better than the back. While quilting from the front I can enjoy the pretty colors and design of a quilt top while working on it, not so from the back with a panto. Just looking at that paper and following the line with the laser light. Pantos can produce beautiful texture and there is most definitely a place for them in LA quilting, especially for those that do it for a living. They can be the bread and butter because they do go so quickly and produce nice results, but I just don't know if they are for me. They struck me as stifling of creative expression, unless of course you are designing them, then that takes a ton of skill and creative expression. One good thing is I can quilt with just one hand using the panto. I did this whole thing with one hand. I found it easier to follow the design by standing to the side of the machine directly in front of the panto so I could really only use my right hand at that angle. Guess you could say I can quilt with one hand tied behind my back, as long as it is the left! :lol: I would love to read other LAer's opinions of pantos.

This panto is called nuveau scallop.

the front of the quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]188496[/ATTACH]

Without flash to better see the texture
[ATTACH=CONFIG]188497[/ATTACH]

The back. very cool tie die fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]188498[/ATTACH]

cjomomma 04-24-2011 12:53 PM

You did a beautiful job on the quilting. That is a georgious quilt.

Maia B 04-24-2011 12:53 PM

Looks great! Suits the top, curves of the quilting balance the strips. Love the colors and backing fabric. Very summer-y.

annieshane 04-24-2011 12:57 PM

Great job with the pantos. Doesn't look like panto at all. Love the blues.

dixiebelle162002 04-24-2011 12:57 PM

the fabric choices are fab!

Jim's Gem 04-24-2011 01:44 PM

Great job on the quilting!

Beaglemom59 04-24-2011 01:55 PM

Beautiful quilt. You did a great job on it.

charismah 04-24-2011 02:01 PM

Hi FF,

Well I think you know my opinion on pantos... :wink:

That being said....It is good for you to try many things so you know what does and does not work for you. The end result is a beautiful quilt regardless of how you actually completed the quilt process.

I love that panto choice even if I don't use them myself.
No matter how you quilt you have to decide which design would be best. It is no different for panto quilting and I think you chose well! Nice curved lines to compliment the jelly roll quilt.

HAPPY EASTER!

cjinvt 04-24-2011 02:04 PM

Very cool, I love love love the fabric, and how cool is the quilting!!

debcavan 04-24-2011 02:04 PM

It is a gorgeous quilt. The quilting is wonderful but I like to be at the front too