Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Blackbird Designs Love Letters Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/blackbird-designs-love-letters-quilt-t206981.html)

Marcia 11-26-2012 09:51 AM

Blackbird Designs Love Letters Quilt

1 Attachment(s)
I have never done needleturn applique until recently. I decided to start with a project that has larger shapes that would be easier to handle. This quilt has just 9 blocks-but each one is 28" square. I have four blocks done so far and am LOVING applique!

Here is a pic of the four blocks I have completed so far

quiltedlamb07 11-26-2012 10:02 AM

Fantastic, looks like you definetly know what you are doing. Great job and very pretty.

feline fanatic 11-26-2012 10:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I really like this pattern you are using. I too am a fledgling NT Appliquer. I went to your blog and it is indeed a unique way of doing it, well the bit about how you lay out your pattern on the background peice with freezer paper. I may try that. I iron my FP templates to the back of my applique pieces and leave it there, using it as a guide to turn my seam allowance under. It works really well, along with clipping curves. I remove the FP after it has been appliqued down when I cut away my background fabric. I have only done a small bit so far but am totally hooked. Like you I was also so envious of people who could do it. My first attempts done when I first started quilting were a miserable failure and I prematurely abandoned all hope of ever doing it. But now, like you, I really enjoy it and am actively pursuing NT applique patterns. Here is a picture of what I did.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]378646[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]378645[/ATTACH]

Lilrain 11-26-2012 10:10 AM

Oh my gosh. Beautiful. And the patience you must have! Thanks for sharing.

Lilrain 11-26-2012 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5680978)
I really like this pattern you are using. I too am a fledgling NT Appliquer. I went to your blog and it is indeed a unique way of doing it, well the bit about how you lay out your pattern on the background peice with freezer paper. I may try that. I iron my FP templates to the back of my applique pieces and leave it there, using it as a guide to turn my seam allowance under. It works really well, along with clipping curves. I remove the FP after it has been appliqued down when I cut away my background fabric. I have only done a small bit so far but am totally hooked. Like you I was also so envious of people who could do it. My first attempts done when I first started quilting were a miserable failure and I prematurely abandoned all hope of ever doing it. But now, like you, I really enjoy it and am actively pursuing NT applique patterns. Here is a picture of what I did.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]378646[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]378645[/ATTACH]

Some say it is hard to applique using batiks. Looks like you are not having any problems. Great job!

Marcia 11-26-2012 10:16 AM

FF-your NT applique is wonderful! I have tried your method of ironing the freezer paper to the back of the applique pieces, but I have decided that I like the stability that leaving the background fabric intact gives me, (especially with such a large piece of fabric like my current project) so I abandoned that method. I may rethink it with a smaller project. Have you tried the Frixion pens? They are awesome!

DianneK 11-26-2012 10:58 AM

marcia...just read your 'method' and sounds very reasonable to me...will give it a try...love your blocks

Grandma Bonnie 11-26-2012 10:59 AM

You both are doing beautiful work!

labug 11-26-2012 11:53 AM

Beautiful Blocks! Keep up the good work

annthreecats 11-26-2012 12:32 PM

Beautiful applique.