Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   border help please! quilt needs to be finished today! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/border-help-please-quilt-needs-finished-today-t145290.html)

sarahrachel 08-15-2011 06:01 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I started my new part time job on saturday at the local thrift store. well I was being trained by a 17 year old girl who is pregnant and due in 2 weeks I think. Either today is her last day or next monday. I'm pretty sure she said next week, but I want to be on the safe side. As soon as I found out she was leaving, she's going to be homeschooled, I immediately felt in my heart that I needed to make her a quilt and as there was a baby quilt I wanted to make, her baby boy is going to get it. But I'm stuck on the borders as it's such a busy bright quilt and I'm not as thrilled at the color choices I made at 11 Saturday night. And I also found while sewing that the pattern was wrong and I didn't have enough fabric left to recut so some of the squares are a little off.

Question 1: do you like the border fabric or should I keep looking?

Question 2: how do I do mitered borders?

the top with the fabric I want to use for the border and backing. Sorry bout the pic quality, it's dreary and the lighting isn't that great
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242119[/ATTACH]

I want to do it like a mock piano key border and you can see my funky pink/blue/green print
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242120[/ATTACH]

a better pic of the border/backing fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242121[/ATTACH]

for those who said the stripes are too busy, is this better? it has a purplish pink tint to it in some places much like my funky fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242137[/ATTACH]

from a bit farther away, it looks more like the blue in the funky print. I may still use the stripes on the back though as it's a tad thicker and this is a on the floor play quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242138[/ATTACH]

sueisallaboutquilts 08-15-2011 06:06 AM

Love the quilt but that border looks too busy to me. What a nice thing for you to do :)

1000projects 08-15-2011 06:09 AM

i would put in an edging in orange, about 1/4 or 1/2". then a boarder, maybe 2" of something much less busy. or ....?

sparkys_mom 08-15-2011 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Love the quilt but that border looks too busy to me. What a nice thing for you to do :)

I agree - lovely quilt, border a bit busy, and a very nice thing for you to do! :) I would think the orange or yellow would work - something similar to what you already have in the quilt top.

Dianemarie 08-15-2011 06:09 AM

I like the bright border ! Its for a child and it is great !
What a thoughtful thing to do !

quiltingaz 08-15-2011 06:10 AM

I agree. I thnk border could be made with fabric from blocks. I do not like the stripe with the quilt. Make piano key or multiple borders.

romanojg 08-15-2011 06:14 AM

I doubt any one else would see that some of the blocks are off. My boss has me bring in each month what I'm working on. When I tell her I can point out each mistake she says she can't see any. That's the one thing that I love about quilting; most of us give quilts to ones who dont make them so they only see the beauty and love that is in a quilt; not any imperfections. It'll be great. Try a plan thing border and then the striped border to give your eyes a place to rest and enjoy the quilt.

greensleeves 08-15-2011 06:30 AM

I think the border fabric looks fine. I'm sure the girl that is receiving it will be delighted with such a bright happy quilt. How nice of you to do it for her. Do a search for mitered corners-they are a little tricky but you can do it.

Glassquilt 08-15-2011 06:32 AM

Great idea. I agree with having some orange in the border.

Amythyst02 08-15-2011 06:35 AM

I am sure that what ever you decide the young lady will be thrilled. How wonderful of you to think of her and make this quilt for her new little baby. I honestly think Quilters have the biggest hearts!!!