Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Butterfly Block Before and After Starching,Thank You Prism99 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/butterfly-block-before-after-starching-thank-you-prism99-t25557.html)

Bill'sBonBon 09-16-2009 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to Thank Prism99 for the help and show the difference in the Block. I now have to square all 15. Next time I will do as Prism99 Suggested starching before Appliqueing. I love the way sharon does the Resizing and Blocking on Her Utube video. I am going to Square these blocks that way. Thank you again Prism99.
BillsBonBon

SulaBug 09-16-2009 10:49 AM

Wow!! :D What a difference the
starch has made. I am so glad
to learn this. Your butterfly block
is absolutely darling!! Thank you
for sharing with all of us.
:D :D :D :D

k3n 09-16-2009 10:52 AM

Bill'sbonbon that's really pretty! Do you mean that you starched the background fabric and the pieces before doing the appliqué? Sorry to be thick! :shock: :lol:

MelissaK 09-16-2009 10:57 AM

I've had the before happen to me too! This is great!!

Iluv2quilt 09-16-2009 11:08 AM

That looks so nice and crisp! Great Butterfly!

Darlene 09-16-2009 11:10 AM

I am glad it worked out for you and it is a very pretty block.

Pea Soup 09-16-2009 11:25 AM

What a fun block! The starch did make quite a difference. The colors are fun and the butterfly is well done.

Isn't starch great? I enjoy starching my fab before cutting and piecing blocks. Spray right after pre-washing and before the first ironing and while fabric is still slightly damp. Makes lining edges easier when sewing the pieces.

kd124 09-16-2009 11:47 AM

WOW! What a difference. I'll have to remember this. Love your butterfly.

BlueChicken 09-16-2009 12:12 PM

Nice one!

I wish I'd known about starch years ago too.... it makes such a difference.

Someone on here said once, when doing tiny little bias pieces, that she starched the little suckers till they were like sewing cardboard. I've been doing the same, and it makes life SO much easier!

The butterflys look gorgeous, can't wait to see it all done. ;-)

Bill'sBonBon 09-16-2009 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Bill'sbonbon that's really pretty! Do you mean that you starched the background fabric and the pieces before doing the appliqué? Sorry to be thick! :shock: :lol:

I didn't on these blocks and when I pulled the stabilizer off I saw how wavy they all were. Prism99 suggested I use heavy starch and then Press not iron them. I did and look how nice and flat. Prism99 Starches before the Applique and I believe it will make things so much easier as I will not have to use that darn stabilizer. Woohooo!!! I am happy about that.
I did starch the Butterflies when I was cutting them out. It made it easier to hold and cut with scissiors. Don't know why I didn't dawn on me to starch background also. But It didn't and they were wavy.
I used the directions from Sharon( can't remember her last name.) for Blocking and squaring. I have done 6 so far and they look so nice and even. I am squaring all the blocks tonight and starting sashes tomorrow.
BillsBonBon