Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Can you read orental writing??? Please help me! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/can-you-read-orental-writing-please-help-me-t26745.html)

RedGarnet222 10-08-2009 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Oh dear ... oh dear!!!
:oops: :oops: :oops:
I am making an X bag with this fabric and I suddenly realized ... I have no idea which side is the up. Now, I don't want it to look stupid, so can someone please hep me by telling me which way these birds are to be flying? (If they are birds I think they are... Oh I am so confused!) Thanks so much for looking. The red will be the accent color.

Which way is up before I cut into it ....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]51958[/ATTACH]

JJs 10-08-2009 05:41 PM

I can tell you that you have it turned sideways :shock:

tlrnhi 10-08-2009 05:50 PM

I think you need to rotate your picture to the left. So the necklace stone thing would be at the top.
I'm thinking that is Chinese writing.
Maybe PM youme (Panda) and ask her. I'm sure she'd know.

RedGarnet222 10-08-2009 06:11 PM

If I am hearing you right, the birds (parasols) should be pointing up or to the left, right? I am going to try and encorporate the bookmark g string into the design somehow. What do you gals think?

tlrnhi 10-08-2009 06:27 PM

I think those are birds (cranes) and I think they need to point to the left.
The characters need to be going up and down, not across.
That's my opinion......for what it's worth....

Lisanne 10-08-2009 07:04 PM

Definitely it's sideways. I agree with Terri, that you should rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise.

I'm not 100% sure. There isn't one kind of "Oriental" writing. I can't tell whether it's Chinese, Japanese, Korean or something else.

To be certain, you could post the question on Yahoo Answers in the Society & Culture - Languages section. Post a link to your photo here.

nursie76 10-08-2009 07:20 PM

I agree it needs to be rotated to the left so the stone is at the top.

RedGarnet222 10-08-2009 07:43 PM

Thanks so much! You gals are the best!

Believe it or not, this came from hancock fabrics. The sales girls there bought it all except what they shared with me. Shopping at one place a lot has it's advantages. LOL!
I knew it would make a great bag. So, I bought enough for two of them.

Endie 10-08-2009 08:49 PM

I know someone who is Chinese & I sent her the picture with the necklace at the top. Here's what she had to say:

"These are two Chinese poems written in Japanese calligraphy. There are many traditional Chinese characters using in Japanese’s language. The upper half of the fabric is a poem of "Winter Snow". The lower half of fabric is a poem of "Cold Wave". Both poems express beautiful scenery in winter and the poet's feeling. The characters on the two red stamps are poets' name. I believe this is a piece of elegant art work."

Hope this helps. Please post pictures so we can all enjoy the bags when they are finished.

RedGarnet222 10-09-2009 09:20 AM

How sweet! I just knew I liked the fabric and that my sis would like it made into an X bag.
Thank you for doing this for me. What a nice thing to do, endie.