Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Coke Tray Liner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/coke-tray-liner-t26594.html)

Tracy_Lit5 10-06-2009 03:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I finished my project...finally.
I made PLENTY of mistakes, but at least I've learned from them
This is my first attempt at flying geese and sewing several small sections together.

Question:
why is it that the more pieces I sew together the more it distorts the dimensions? I pressed all my seams and pieces before adding another section/row but it still got distorted.

The tray is from an old cafeteria, and has become a "catch-all" try instead.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]51428[/ATTACH]

RedGarnet222 10-06-2009 07:43 AM

I don't see any distortion. But, one trick is, Don't use any steam while pressing and never, never rub on the bias edges. They grow (stretch)when you do. Before you cut anything bias out use a heavy starch on it, this helps to set them in place better.

It is fun to see the coca cola stuff. Do you collect it?

Debbie1 10-06-2009 08:26 AM

You did a great job!

sewnsewer2 10-06-2009 08:28 AM

Good job! We are somewhat coke collectors too. I have a timer, straw container, napkin holder (the old fashioned).

Lisanne 10-06-2009 08:32 AM

That's cute!

Originally Posted by Tracy_Lit5
Question: why is it that the more pieces I sew together the more it distorts the dimensions? I pressed all my seams and pieces before adding another section/row but it still got distorted.

Having experienced this myself, it's really true that those little "negligible" errors add up. Re-measure each time you sew two sets of sewn pieces together, and finesse by matching them up at the inner seam lines, not the outer ones, when you find discrepancies.

joeyoz 10-06-2009 09:03 AM

Looks great. Make sure that when you press that is all you are doing. Don't iron (rubbing back and forth), you have to pick up the iron and place it where you want to press. I learned that the hard way. Wonky doesn't describe what I had when I was done. LOL

ckcowl 10-06-2009 09:12 AM

another thing that can cause distortion even though you dont' notice till its' too late...when sewing multiple pieces together that seam allowance is important...if you are off just 1/8", doesn't seem like anything at all, but then when the 8th piece goes together...woah...you are a whole 1" off!!!it adds up and isn't noticed until it is too late. pressing is important, sometimes if you 'square-up and trim your piece after each addition it is more work but will help keep everything as it should be in the end.
i had a little lady ask me once...when i was complaining about the imperfections in my latest piece..."can you see it when it hangs off the brooklyn bridge?" in other words...we know the imperfections are there because we've been UP CLOSE all along...anyone else looking at it is not going to notice what we see as a glaring boo-boo. so unless it is to be judged and has to be perfect don't sweat the small stuff, no one knows but you :mrgreen:

joeyoz 10-06-2009 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
another thing that can cause distortion even though you dont' notice till its' too late...when sewing multiple pieces together that seam allowance is important...if you are off just 1/8", doesn't seem like anything at all, but then when the 8th piece goes together...woah...you are a whole 1" off!!!it adds up and isn't noticed until it is too late. pressing is important, sometimes if you 'square-up and trim your piece after each addition it is more work but will help keep everything as it should be in the end.
i had a little lady ask me once...when i was complaining about the imperfections in my latest piece..."can you see it when it hangs off the brooklyn bridge?" in other words...we know the imperfections are there because we've been UP CLOSE all along...anyone else looking at it is not going to notice what we see as a glaring boo-boo. so unless it is to be judged and has to be perfect don't sweat the small stuff, no one knows but you :mrgreen:

Our saying is "Can you see it from a galloping horse?" LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 10-06-2009 09:31 AM

The ironing vs. pressing really is a big deal. I get carried away with the iron and end up with a weird looking edge.

SulaBug 10-06-2009 09:33 AM

Very NICE!! :D Your work is
really great. Thank you for
sharing with all of us.
:D :D :D :D