Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Dewnet Colored Pencils -What would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/dewnet-colored-pencils-what-would-you-do-t201792.html)

QuiltE 09-29-2012 10:01 AM

... to me these beauties are asking for handquilting!

Because of the size, I would suggest outline quilting around the outside of the drawing. Then a few lines elsewhere, perhaps around the chin/neck, and the completion of the hat outline on her face. A fine thread, so it is not really noticeable, just enough to help puff/quilt it to show off without detracting your wonderful work.

sassy granny 09-29-2012 11:50 AM

I see this as art and not a quilt. Since I'm not an artist, I don't know anything about the pencils or drawings but i can see that your work is fantastic. If they were mine, I would definetly have them in pretty frames and on the wall. The patterns are beautiful and you did fabulous work with the pencils. They will be very pretty and eye catching regardless of what you do with them.

sassy granny

debcavan 09-29-2012 12:30 PM

Oh my heart just dropped when I saw them, they are so gorgeous.

littlebitoheaven 09-29-2012 03:21 PM

Your drawings are fabulous. I saw them when you posted earlier. I agree that outlining with quilting (fine thread) and then around the hat and flowers to make them puff. I believe that will be enough as the pictures are only 7 inches. Please share the finished results with us. You are very talented. Yolanda Wood River

flybreit 09-30-2012 05:19 AM

Beautiful! Seems I remember seeing a post where someone had putting batting behind them and just put them in an oval frame - that was very lovely!

Blinkokr 09-30-2012 05:23 AM

Just terrific, great job and thank you for sharing.
Have a Blessed day
Ellen

kqqlme1147 09-30-2012 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsforme (Post 5548669)
Hi,
I just purchased a new sewing machine, the brother dreamweaver xe. I also bought some dewent colored pencils, and did these two picures on muslin. The first time I've ever used the pencils. I really like them. I planned on using my new machine to place a frame around them, but haven't figured out how to enlarge the frames yet. So, that idea went out the window. Any ideas how to use these blocks in a quilt. I plan on doing more, featuring victorian bonnets. Would you try to quilt in the drawings? How would you do it,or what would you do. Your ideas and help would be appreciated..Thanks

Your work is beautiful. I want to purchase that Brother Dreamweaver XE. Can you tell us more about how you like it and approx. price?

maxnme01 09-30-2012 12:11 PM

How about framing them with an attic window? You could use border prints too. You could get creative by appliqueing frames around each picture in different sizes and arranging them on background fabric to look like a wall collage of ladies in bonnets. Just an idea.

Sounds like you have an embroidery machine that you were going to use to "embroider" frames around the pictures. Look for separate patterns that have straight and corner pieces. That way if you have an embroidery program like 3D 4D or 5D you can create your own frame size by adding the separate elements.

Good Luck!

jojosnana 09-30-2012 12:13 PM

I don't have a suggestion but I sure would like to see it when you are done!

wildyard 09-30-2012 02:31 PM

I, too, would go with quilting just the more solid lines of the hats, flowers and some accent strands of hair here and there. I think I would not do any quilting on the faces.