Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   DH modified my machine cabinet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/dh-modified-my-machine-cabinet-t52787.html)

nursie76 07-04-2010 09:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
After showing DH how some of you have your machines in cabinets that make the machine level with the surface of the cabinet and explaining to him how it would make quilting so much easier, the sweet man got a lift mechanism from Rockler and modified my existing cabinet. It works soooo nicely and puts my arms and body at just the right angle when sewing. THEN, he got a table for behind my machine and made a little extension shelf for in front of the machine to help support the weight of the quilt. When I pull my machine out to put the table behind it, my cabinet butts right up against a wall shelf he installed earlier. So, with the table behind, the shelf beside and the little extension in front the quilt is totally supported all around. I am so thrilled with this set up! When I quilted the first quilt using this arrangement, I couldn't believe how much easier and more enjoyable it was! I think I will keep DH around! (Did I mention I call him my "enabler" because he always encourages me in all my quilting endeavors and shopping expeditions?) Gotta love the man! :D

Sorry for the disarray, but didn't remember to take pics until the creative processes had started.

Normal piecing set up with machine level with cabinet surface
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82656[/ATTACH]

Things rearranged for quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82657[/ATTACH]

craftybear 07-04-2010 09:27 AM

awesome, glad you are enjoying your new set up!

Luv Quilts and Cats 07-04-2010 09:29 AM

That is a nice set up!

nursie76 07-04-2010 09:31 AM

Thanks for looking. It isn't fancy, but it works!

littlehud 07-04-2010 09:31 AM

Wow, he did a great job on that. What a great guy. Yes he is a keeper.

denilynne 07-04-2010 09:35 AM

nice table, love the quilt on the wall.

Pam B 07-04-2010 09:38 AM

Great thinking on his part! You should be very nice to him...sounds like he is a 'keeper'. I have an insert to use when I want my machine level with the top of the cabinet. I don't know why I don't use it more often...I grew up sewing with a machine that was level with the cabinet and it took me forever to get used to one sitting above it. It is certainly easier to FMQ with it level.

Pam 07-04-2010 09:44 AM

Fantastic! A gold star for hubby!

dkabasketlady 07-04-2010 09:44 AM

You have a great sewing space & set up since your DH has modified everything for you!!! Your DH is definitely a keeper, but if you ever want to trade him in, I'm sure there's plenty on this board that would line up for his services as an "enabler",lol!!

nursie76 07-04-2010 10:18 AM

Pam B - I also grew up sewing on a Singer 401A that was level with the cabinet. I like it much better that way too!

Denilynn - Thanks for the compliment, that is a Carpenters Star. I made it in a class in the spring of 2009 when I was getting reacquainted with quilting.

DH really is so sweet. He will often come home from grocery shopping (yes, he does that on his own quite often when I am trying to finish a project ;-) ) and say, "while I was out, I stopped and Joann's and look what I found on the sale pile". And then he will produce a tool or little gadget that I had mentioned might be useful. And now he is beginning to collect vintage sewing machines...if I could only teach him to quilt! ;-)