Diamonds & Chevrons Table Topper and Runner
I made the quilt last year and thought it needed some friends to match. I found the pattern for the table runner on Kaye Wood's site (Diamonds & Chevrons Table Runner). Then I needed a table topper, so adjusted the pattern for that. That wasn't the best idea. Once I got it done, I realized they were quarter log cabin blocks (it would have been much simpler to make). Not so many seams coming to a point. Then I had one block left over and thought it would make a great pillow. Always loved piano key borders, had the left overs from the strip sets, so we have a piano key border. This set was one of those "trial by fire" deals. Cut the strips for the runner, no problem. Cut the first triangle for the topper wrong, had to piece it (one of those, don't have any more of that fabric, so we can't make a new strip set). Arranged the blocks according to my rudimentary drawing, didn't like it. Rearranged it. Quilting the topper, ran out of thread w/about 6' to go. Didn't have any more, had to go shopping (20 miles away). The pillow took the cake, though. Added the white strips to the block, then went to add the piano keys, didn't lay out right. Took the strips off. Cut new strips, added to the block, still didn't work, took them off. Do you see a pattern emerging here? Cut new strips (larger than I thought I would need), added to the block, just a tick too large, trimmed, and they fit. Yeah!!! Thought I had a large enough piece for the backing. No. Had to piece it from scraps from the table topper backing w/the angled cuts. Took 3 pieces to make a 19" square for the back. Getting ready to sew the opening close. Pleased w/how the piano keys went round the quilt in order, except two squares were out of order. Took them out, turned them around, and finished the pillow, finally. Quilted w/Signature thread - Victorian, C&C in the bobbin, Soft & Bright Batting.
Thanks for looking and listening to my tale of woe,
Attachment 353083 Attachment 353084 Attachment 353085 Attachment 353086