Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Don't tell anyone, but I finished a quilt this year! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/dont-tell-anyone-but-i-finished-quilt-year-t42668.html)

zyxquilts 04-13-2010 06:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally! In my guild we had a challenge that started last year & just finished this month. It was called the "Whisper Challenge", based on a challenge in Quilting Arts magazine. It was sort of like the kid's game "Telephone", where each person whispers something to the next one....and you see how much the original "something" changed by the time the last person says it out loud.
In our Whisper Challenge, we had 2 groups of 6 quilters. The first quilter in each group made a small quilt based on a photograph (same photo for them both). The next month, they handed their quilt to the next quilter, who made their own small quilt, based on the previous quilter's quilt. Only the first ones got to see the photo.
I was lucky enough to be #2 in my group, and as soon as I saw Ann's quilt, my design popped right into my head! AND I actually figured out how to make it look like that design :D
All of the "Whisper" quilts were shown last week at our monthly meeting, during show & tell, and will all hang together at our quilt show on May 1st & 2nd. I'll take pictures of them at the show & post them later.
The main bridge cables actually have copper wire couched on them, and the vertical cables are quilted with copper metallic thread. Then I beaded the 'white caps' in the ocean to balance it out.
Now that they've all been shown at guild, I can finally share with you :wink:
I think this is my favorite quilt! :D
And now.....presenting........

Golden Gate Fly-By
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58210[/ATTACH]

a little closer...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58211[/ATTACH]

the flyer!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58212[/ATTACH]

FunkyMonkey 04-13-2010 06:15 PM

very good!!

zyxquilts 04-13-2010 06:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Also, since I didn't want to put a regular binding on it, I just zigzagged around the edge with the copper metallic thread. It made it a bit wavy, so I sewed triangles on each corner, then made a sort of stretcher frame out of foam core board (to keep it light weight). I think it worked pretty well.
Here are some closer-ups. :wink:

copper cables
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58128[/ATTACH]

beading
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58129[/ATTACH]

mom-6 04-13-2010 06:19 PM

Wow! Gorgeous!

Maybe someday....nah, don't think I want to try anything that complicated.

ddeew 04-13-2010 06:45 PM

Gorgeous! And the water actually seems to be moving!

sewsue 04-13-2010 06:48 PM

Wow now that is cute, and very nice using the copper thread.

littlehud 04-13-2010 06:49 PM

That is beautiful. I am impressed.

danmar 04-13-2010 06:56 PM

Very pretty!

chewboo 04-13-2010 07:14 PM

that is something i want to try someday--my list is just getting way to long

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 04-13-2010 07:17 PM

Wow, that is very very cool!