Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Early AM quilting, thoughts and I LOVE this attachment (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/early-am-quilting-thoughts-i-love-attachment-t129134.html)

ctub0126 06-09-2011 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, the short of it is I'm 7mo pregnant and my husband rolled over in bed just after midnight and the baby decided that was a wake up call and has been kicking for hours..... at least he's healthy! Deciding staying in bed would just make us both miserable I got up and started looking for things to do. I wasted some time on the computer, got some water (wow it's hot and the sun hasn't even come up yet). And finally decided to do the sashing on a large lap quilt I'm making as a wedding present.

I don't know yet if this was a bad idea or not... I've done early morning quilting before only to look at it later and find that I go "what was I thinking" while spending quality time with the seam ripper. So I'll find out if this was a good idea later, but it did calm the baby down! He seems to like it when I sit at the treadle :).

Now on to the attachment. I sew (mostly) on a singer 66 redeye. She was really abused before I got her and a few parts later she sews like a dream, but still shows her past wear and tear (see pic). I just purchased some attachments for her a month or so ago and have been working on getting used to them. One I've used the most is the seam allowance guide (curled metal thing attached to the bed in the pic). You just screw it into the bed of the machine and tighten the screw down when it's where you want it. Now this (I swear like every attachment known to man no matter how simple) took some getting used to. If you don't tighten it enough it' will turn slightly slanted and mess up your perfect seam allowance. If you don't take out the pins before they hit the guide they will cause your fabric to "bow" away from the guide and you will get some very interesting curved seam allowances (which I didn't notice until I was pressing the seams). However, after about two weeks of using this (because I have it and dang it I'm using it!:roll: my stubbornness is a family trait) I've adjusted to it and now it is my favorite thing of all time! I don't have goopy tape on my machine, I don't have to try and sight a line on the bed and (and I'm sure this is only cool to me and possibly a couple of other really dedicated vintage machine users) I'm using the attachment that would have come with the machine. To me this is awesome because it was made for my machine and works because that's what the women of that era needed (no quilter in the history of the world has been able to sight without, a guide, a perfect 1/4" seam every time, at least that i know of!)! Also, I can set it to whatever I need, if for some unknown reason I need a 2" seam allowance it's a quick twist of a screw and measure away!

Ok, I think I'm done rambling for now :XD: Just wanted to share!

My favorite attachment to date!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208934[/ATTACH]

coloradosky 06-09-2011 12:47 AM

Yes,every machine should come with one of those straight seam attachments. Aren't they great. You can also adjust it at an angle and you can sew great circles. Why don't all machine manufacturers come with this simple attachment? I know many of the beds are now made of plastic but they could still include this by reinforcing the underside of the screw hole with metal. I have grumbled about this with my new machine every time I have straight seams to sew. The necessary hole and attachment are so inexpensive to install at the factory why won't they do it???

ctub0126 06-09-2011 12:55 AM

maybe because they like to listen to us curse under our breath :D, but it's more likely they prefer to make expensive feet and throat plates so we have to spend more money! :roll: After all one seam allowance guide = at least 3 or 4 feet that are sized to the seam allowance.

katier825 06-09-2011 01:04 AM

That's a cool attachment. I wonder if it would fit a Featherweight?

Have you tried pinning from the opposite direction? Maybe you could leave your pins in a little longer before pulling them out that way.

ctub0126 06-09-2011 01:09 AM

Didn't try that, but i'm actually ok with pulling them earlier now, it keeps them and my fingers a little farther out from the presser foot. I may have to try that when I do some smaller work because when your block is one and a half inches wide and you need to seam it, I don't thing pulling the pin early's going to be an option!

Thanks!

ctub0126 06-09-2011 01:12 AM

OH yeah, and they did make one for the featherweight :) it's part # 25527 :).

leatheflea 06-09-2011 02:25 AM

I went to joanns to get one of those and would you believe the gal said "I've been sewing for 30 yrs and I've never heard of such a thing". Obviously she hasnt sewn much.

justlooking 06-09-2011 02:29 AM

You use to get one with every machine, but not anymore.

cjtinkle 06-09-2011 02:39 AM

I have one of those seam guides for everyone one of my machine, my serger, and my cover stitch machine, LOL. I can't sew without them! The Bernina ones look identical to the Singer ones, but the one I have for my Juki is the best, the "guide" edge is twice as wide.. love it!

Heather56Hope 06-09-2011 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
I have one of those seam guides for everyone one of my machine, my serger, and my cover stitch machine, LOL. I can't sew without them! The Bernina ones look identical to the Singer ones, but the one I have for my Juki is the best, the "guide" edge is twice as wide.. love it!

Hey, post some of the pictures of your machine and other accessories.