Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Finally finished my largest quilt! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/finally-finished-my-largest-quilt-t100220.html)

dyer804 02-16-2011 04:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've been working on a full size quilt for my son's birthday for the last month and a half and finished yesterday! It is 84 x 92 inches and quite a challenge with my Bernina Activa 230. What was I thinking! It started with the trumpet fabric I bought here from McQuilter last July. My son played the trumpet from 5th grade through college so I had to get it for him. I picked up a few more matching pieces expecting to make a couch throw for him. When we were visiting last fall he mentioned that his girlfriend didn't like his bed quilt as it was too bright. It is one my grandmother made from red and blue polyester and tied with white yarn. So I decided to make a QAYG reversible quilt for him. Thanks Ditter for the tutorial and k3n for the tip about steam a seam. Both were very helpful for this project. The bright side is for my son as he has always liked brights and the pastel side is for his girlfriend, a bit more subdued. We will be leaving Friday morning to visit them in Irvine, CA where he is in graduate school. I hope they both like it!

David's side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]128932[/ATTACH]

Allison's side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]128933[/ATTACH]

cjomomma 02-16-2011 04:58 AM

You made a great quilt. I like your sons side the best!

Lindsey 02-16-2011 05:02 AM

It looks great. I love that you can do quiltasyougo. Braver than I am. I think I might get the blocks done but I don't know about sewing them all together...

dyer804 02-16-2011 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lindsey
It looks great. I love that you can do quiltasyougo. Braver than I am. I think I might get the blocks done but I don't know about sewing them all together...

Have you checked Ditter's tutorial? She really shows it step by step. I think you could do it!

Lindsey 02-16-2011 05:11 AM

yeah someday on my list which is ever growing.. Like your avitar quilt alot too..

MamaBear61 02-16-2011 05:19 AM

Very pretty, well done.

bevclark 02-16-2011 05:36 AM

very nice quilt!! actually, 2 quilts in one! what a great idea! what is the name of the block for allison's side? i really like it!

dyer804 02-16-2011 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by bevclark
very nice quilt!! actually, 2 quilts in one! what a great idea! what is the name of the block for allison's side? i really like it!

I don't think it has a name! I cut a stack of 10" squares into triangles and then added three complementary strips to complete the block. I used my 12 1/2" ruler to square it up and that was it! I'm sure someone else will come up with the "official" name but that was all I did.

reach for the stars 2 02-16-2011 06:01 AM

Very pretty I love those reversible quilts. Fun to make

momcpo 02-16-2011 06:02 AM

Neat! Love that it's reversable.