Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Finished! Quilted Picnic Blanket w/ Oilcloth backing! "Coffee" Theme! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/finished-quilted-picnic-blanket-w-oilcloth-backing-%22coffee%22-theme-t15110.html)

BabkaGal 01-06-2009 04:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I just wanted to show you the quilted picnic blanket that I finished last week! I had a few requirements for this quilt:

--Manly colors (quilt was a gift for a man) but still cheerful
--Dark colors (since quilt is made for the outdoors)
--Simple but interesting pattern
--Oilcloth for backing (to keep the quilt waterproof on damp ground)

I used one layer cake and one charm pack for the quilt, plus some extra yardage for the borders. It was the "Bistro" collection by Moda, which was a fabulous set of fabrics (highly recommended)! It had some whimsical prints relating to coffee, but it mostly had interesting geometric designs. The 40 fabrics in the collection coordinated really well together.

The pattern was called "Diamond in the Rough" by Crazy Old Ladies (found at the Fat Quarter Shop online). It was very quick and suitable for a beginner or advanced beginner.

I made some revisions to the quilt: increased the size of the borders, and machine appliqued the small diamonds (more interesting than piecing it). I also used muslin instead of cotton batting to make the blanket thinner and more portable. The finished quilt was about 70" x 80".

The oilcloth was a little tricky to work with (hard to move with the feed dogs), but it was easier to handle when I had the oilcloth on top. As a final way to help with dirt and waterproofing, I scotchguarded the quilt top.

Hope you like it! Thanks!

sewsewquilter 01-06-2009 04:26 PM

That is wonderful! I have been looking for an oilcloth tablecloth but can not find any I like. Do you have any tips or pointers on how to make a tablecloth with an oilcloth on the back?

jbsstrawberry 01-06-2009 04:39 PM

What a wonderful idea!! It really is an awesome quilt!! I think all the extra attention and personalization with the oil cloth and scotchguarding shows how much love and care you put into your work. Just wonderful!!

SulaBug 01-06-2009 04:57 PM

It's lovely. You did a great job & I am sure that it will be well welcomed. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us.

blahel 01-06-2009 05:29 PM

very nice and will be practical for use outdoors being scotch guarded and all.

Jim's Gem 01-06-2009 06:06 PM

Looks great!! Great idea for finding something that would be good for setting on the grass or dirt or even sand.

Elizabeth A. 01-06-2009 06:07 PM

You've done a beautiful job. Your points look right on and your colors! Oh they do look nice together. Kudos!

mary quite contrary 01-06-2009 06:11 PM

Very Nice!!!

sewnsewer2 01-06-2009 06:30 PM

Good job! That's a great picnic blanket.

cookingardener 01-06-2009 06:34 PM

Cool quilt! I love the fabrics and the pattern!