Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   First Quilt Started (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/first-quilt-started-t5706.html)

ADKer 03-28-2008 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is--nothing spectacular, just simple. I've never made a quilt--infact, the last time I used a sewing machine was in Jr. High Home Ec. . . and that was a pillow.

It did seem to get easier as I went! This is ment to be a queen size, so I've got a lot more to do--the picture is just 64 squares out of a total 952!

(And that yellow is uglier than it looks--so much for buying fabric online!)

Thanks for looking!

My first quilt project.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7814[/ATTACH]

Celeste 03-28-2008 12:29 PM

Pretty good! Did you get that pattern from someone or come up with the idea on your own?

Looking at it again, I'd guess it's a four patch, but it looked like a nine patch melting into the next color.

Chele 03-28-2008 12:37 PM

I am pretty well impressed with your first quilt! Look at everything lining up so beautifully. :P And I like the yellow! I have a feeling you're going to "get" this hobby bad! LOL! Keep up the excellent work and make more!

ADKer 03-28-2008 12:53 PM

Thanks for the compliments!

I came up with it myself. I used MSpaint, zoomed into 800% and turned on the gridlines--you then have instant graph paper. I decided on the four colors and simply went across, "yellow, green, red, blue". The second row I did "green, yellow, blue, red". That's it.

I didn't cut and piece individual 3-inch squares, but used 7-inch that I would stitch down two sides, cut, turn, stitch, cut, and stitch again. . . . Make sense?! I saw a video online of a lady who did that to make "positive" and "negative" 9-squares. . . . I adapted to give me 2 4-squares.

Anywho--some of the lines don't mesh--but I believe it was someone on here that mention a galloping horse. . . :)

BDor 03-28-2008 12:53 PM

Great work for your first project!!!! You are hooked--just like the rest of us.

Barb M 03-28-2008 01:07 PM

Oh your quilt looks great! I have a quilt that is brighter than i want it to be, someone told me i could tea dye it, im thinking of doing that to mine

bj 03-28-2008 02:46 PM

I think it's looking great so far. You may be surprised at how good the bigger quilt will look. Sometimes their true beauty doesn't develop right away!

live2teach 03-28-2008 02:58 PM

That is a wonderful first quilt. I know sometimes, it seems as though you'll never get finished, especially with bigger quilts. Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see the end result. Keep us posted.

sandpat 03-28-2008 03:12 PM

I see nothing wrong with your quilt. Actually, I think that is pretty good...designed your first quilt yourself, picked out your colors..now doing the work...Pat yourself on the back girl..you are doing good.

It surely is enough to get you hooked..right?!

joyful_noise 03-28-2008 03:53 PM

Nice job !! I like the color pattern ............even the yellow !!! :D