Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   First Time Feather Practice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/first-time-feather-practice-t225275.html)

CarolynMT 07-06-2013 03:24 PM

First Time Feather Practice

5 Attachment(s)
Well as my grandma used to say "In for a penny, in for a pound" I have been practicing my feathers on my dry erase board for like 3 months now. And got pretty good at them, so decided to take myself to the long arm and see what I can do. Note to self: It really isnt the same thing using a pen vs using a machine. But that is ok, now I will just practice on fabric.

I bought a yard of material for backing, and used some scraps for the runners. Just loaded one at a time, stitched it down then went to town. Apparently circles are the hardest types of feathers to do. Guess I am a horrible over achiever I went right for the circles... But will note, I am inherently lazy, so if circles are the hardest, if I practice them first and get really good at them...then straight lines will be a cinch. Saves time ;) Or I am just a glutton for punishment!

Not sure what I am going to do with them.....lol...probably give the blue/green ones away, the orange one had too many issues to share with anyone. So might just use it for the cat's feeding area cause he is such a mess.

Anyhow, here they are. I had some tone on tone circles sewn on the blocks to give a guide. You can barely see it, but they are there.
This is the first one, very first time on feathers....not great but there are a few petals that are good. :D
[ATTACH=CONFIG]422764[/ATTACH]
This is the second one, the feathers are getting better (tension too) more good petals.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]422765[/ATTACH]
And this is the last one, more continuity in the good petals, still some issues, but getting better.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]422766[/ATTACH]
And this is the backing....was a bear to find backing with all the border colors, but I did manage it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]422767[/ATTACH]
And lastly, my quilt inspector. Keegan thinks he needs a quilted bed for my long arm table not just a piece of scrap tossed in a corner :p he sulked there for hours, so guess that is next on the project list. Will practice more feathers though!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]422768[/ATTACH]

wordpaintervs 07-06-2013 03:54 PM

You should be proud of the accomplishments you have made in such a short time. I know I am proud of you. HUGS keep up the good work sweetie

erstan947 07-06-2013 03:56 PM

First feathers or not.....you are doing great! You will only get better with each project!

MadQuilter 07-06-2013 03:59 PM

You did great first time out.

Quilter 65 07-06-2013 04:10 PM

I would love to have a machine and practice and would hope to be as good as you on the first time out. That paper and pen must have been a great idea.

Machel 07-06-2013 04:15 PM

Awesome job, keep up the good work ! ! !

QuiltnNan 07-06-2013 05:31 PM

nicely done

msquiltalot 07-06-2013 06:02 PM

Love your determination, great job.

sewmerry 07-06-2013 07:11 PM

Wow , Impressive progress!! It's looking good!

quiltinggirl 07-06-2013 07:40 PM

KUDOs to you for your work. I think feathers is one of the hardest to master and it appears you are off to a great start.