Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   first try at obw (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/first-try-obw-t189564.html)

skowron5 05-20-2012 05:43 PM

first try at obw

3 Attachment(s)
I had this fabric for a long time and thought I would try my first obw. It is turning out real dark and I am not sure if it will look right.

Should I try to find a lighter fabric that would go with it to brighten it up or will it be o.k. dark?

QuiltE 05-20-2012 05:56 PM

I like it ... the darker look will make for a very dramatic quilt. That's a great fabric and will give you some interesting patterns, as already showing with the first few blocks. You've just got a few blocks done so far, and yes, they are dark'ish, though that's not all that bad. Many like a dark quilt!! Plus, you'll see some more colour punches coming with the golds, whites and blues as you make more blocks.

If it's too dark for your liking, you will be able to brighten it up when you choose how to border and finish it up. I like it and if you're really disliking it, just bundle it up and send it along to me!!!!!!! Otherwise, I'll be green with envy and will look forward to seeing your progress.

(FYI ... the bottom left hex, you don't have all the triangles facing the same direction.)

Tartan 05-20-2012 06:08 PM

I think they will look great with a gold fabric (like in your squares) put in between to form the star pattern between the blocks. That would brighten it up if you think it's too dark. I think it will be very nice just the way it is with the original print in a nice wide border.

Latrinka 05-20-2012 06:09 PM

I think it'll be pretty! There's a lot of colors in that fabric.

feline fanatic 05-20-2012 06:10 PM

I think this will be a spectacular OBW, keep going.

azwendyg 05-20-2012 06:13 PM

Well it looks like you are off to a very fine start! I love the designs you're getting with the fabric you chose--I think it looks wonderful the way it is; very dramatic.

skowron5 05-20-2012 06:25 PM

Thanks for the advice. I had them on my design wall that is in the hall. It is dark there. Now that I see them in a different light they don't look as dark.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I kept looking at that and thought it didn't look right.

This is so much fun. I have already ordered some different material for my next one.

I have a friend who has a cabin in Northern Michigan and I think this will look great at her place.

lollygagging 05-20-2012 06:30 PM

Kudos to you for tackling it! I think with the variety of color in your fabric it won't actually finish as dark as you're thinking. Please remember to give us a peek at the finished quilt! Thanks for sharing.

QuiltE 05-20-2012 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by skowron5 (Post 5231188)
........Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I kept looking at that and thought it didn't look right.........

Thanks ... I hesitated, as I didn't want to upset you. Though I knew if it was me, I'd want to be told, as it'd be too easy to miss it til after it was sewn. And I don't think any of us like having to do reverse stitching! :)

Have fun with the process. I found that each set of triangles was another surprise, and I couldn't wait to sew them together and see what was waiting to pop out when I opened it up!!! YOu can have some fun, by twisting the pieces and deciding which direction of the triangle gives the most interesting kaleido design or made the colour pop the most.

One warning ... it's very addictive as you want to see what all the hexes look like!

pastimesquiltdesign 05-20-2012 09:26 PM

Looking great so far, would love to see the finished quilt. Peggy