Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   flannel backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/flannel-backing-t214043.html)

mtkoldra 02-17-2013 06:27 AM

flannel backing

I wanted to put flannel backing on the baby quilt that I am making. Bought two different for a pieced backing. I washed the flannel but it came out with full of 'fuzz' on the it. Now, I wonder if I should use it on this quilt or forget the flannel and use regular fabric, since I will be giving it away to a friend for her granddaugher.
would appreciate comments from those who use flannel.
thanks

Tartan 02-17-2013 06:33 AM

When you say fuzz, is it loose bits on the surface that you can get off with a sticky clothes roller? If so then it just loose fuzz from washing it and it will be fine to use. If it has little balls of fuzz stuck to it, this is called pilling. You can remove the pills with a sweater fuzz remover and it is up to you if you want to use it. I don't know if it will re-pill if you remove them once. Maybe someone else will know.

knlsmith 02-17-2013 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5867352)
When you say fuzz, is it loose bits on the surface that you can get off with a sticky clothes roller? If so then it just loose fuzz from washing it and it will be fine to use. If it has little balls of fuzz stuck to it, this is called pilling. You can remove the pills with a sweater fuzz remover and it is up to you if you want to use it. I don't know if it will re-pill if you remove them once. Maybe someone else will know.

I agree. And does the look bother you? If not, then don't worry about it. :)

KarenR 02-17-2013 06:42 AM

I'm going to be using flannel on a quilt back- How are we suppose to wash it?

dlong 02-17-2013 07:05 AM

Do a zig-zag stitch on the cut ends of the fabric to prevent ravelling, then wash and dry just like you would a receiving blanket.

dunster 02-17-2013 03:07 PM

I always wash flannel before using it, partly to get the shrinkage (and any color bleeding) over with and partly to find out if it's going to pill. I've had flannel that I thought was excellent quality pill, and flannel that I thought was lesser quality not pill, so I don't know how to determine whether it will pill in advance. The last flannel I used did pill, so I used it as batting instead of for the back. I wouldn't use flannel that pills, especially on a baby quilt. It will be washed a lot, and the pilling will probably never stop. I would worry that the baby/child might get the pieces in his/her mouth and swallow them, or choke on them. Maybe that could never happen, but I know I would worry about it anyway.

mtkoldra 02-17-2013 03:18 PM

thank you for your opinions, I will use fabric and the flannel will use for something else.

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5868520)
I always wash flannel before using it, partly to get the shrinkage (and any color bleeding) over with and partly to find out if it's going to pill. I've had flannel that I thought was excellent quality pill, and flannel that I thought was lesser quality not pill, so I don't know how to determine whether it will pill in advance. The last flannel I used did pill, so I used it as batting instead of for the back. I wouldn't use flannel that pills, especially on a baby quilt. It will be washed a lot, and the pilling will probably never stop. I would worry that the baby/child might get the pieces in his/her mouth and swallow them, or choke on them. Maybe that could never happen, but I know I would worry about it anyway.

suern3 02-17-2013 03:27 PM

Can you get a different piece of flannel to use for the baby quilt? I love to use flannel for backing my quilts, not just for the babies. It seems more soft and cuddly compared to regular cotton. I do wash it first and if it does pill, I don't use it for backing, though I have rarely had any that did pill. (Luckily)

Tweety2911 02-17-2013 05:00 PM

I just finished a quilt with a flannel backing that was prewashed. It was a magnet for threads but did not pill and came out great! Try to get a different brand or see if you can get a refund on the flannel you purchased.

hatchet 02-17-2013 05:37 PM

I love working with flannel!! The fuzz ball will wash away eventually, maybe more than one wash but not that many. It's so soft, it's worth the extra work.