Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   FMQ advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fmq-advice-t69559.html)

LovinMySoldier 10-11-2010 09:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So I tried to do some free motion quilting. What do ya think? This was my first effort so give me some honesty as to what I need to do to improve. And I know my squares don't match up but this was just for practice :) Be brutal if you must :D

Quilter7x 10-11-2010 09:14 AM

It's hard to see. :(

k3n 10-11-2010 09:16 AM

Not at all bad for a first go. Some tips - try and relax a bit, you're a bit jerky. Have a glass of wine if you're so inclined. And the other thing I'd say is meander wider apart at first. I think that's easier to keep smooth than all these tight turns. You can move on to stippling later. But this really is a good job!

k3n 10-11-2010 09:16 AM

Hey, where did the pic go? I SAW it - black and white fabric and blue stitches, right?

LovinMySoldier 10-11-2010 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Hey, where did the pic go? I SAW it - black and white fabric and blue stitches, right?

yeah I deleted the pictures after I realized that it was too hard to see. Then tried again. They should be there now :)

Rebecca VLQ 10-11-2010 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Not at all bad for a first go. Some tips - try and relax a bit, you're a bit jerky. Have a glass of wine if you're so inclined. And the other thing I'd say is meander wider apart at first. I think that's easier to keep smooth than all these tight turns. You can move on to stippling later. But this really is a good job!

Yup. Being relaxed is way helpful.

Also, the stitches seem to change in length a lot. Over time, you'll get the motion/speed thing down.

Hooray for trying it out!

LovinMySoldier 10-11-2010 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by k3n

Wider apart! I can do that. I just kinda winged it. I tried to find a beginner tutorial but didn't find anything that I really liked. I am super impatient so after a few minutes I gave up and figured I could ask questions later. Thank you for the tips :) Too early for wine as it is only 1030 in my world but tonight :) Thanks for the help!

kathy 10-11-2010 09:23 AM

I usually try to mimic puzzle pieces. a BIG puzzle.

Margie 10-11-2010 10:29 AM

I think youtube.com has FMQ tutorials.

amma 10-11-2010 11:13 AM

Good Job!!! AND Good for you for giving it a go!!
You did wonderful, I think you should be very proud of yourself :D:D:D
I can't wait to see more from you!!

Maybe slow down the movement a bit... it will help your curves and the length of your stitches... OR speed up your machine a bit to match your movements.

I find larger designs are easier to do than smaller ones, too :D:D:D