Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   FMQ feathers practice - 2 table runners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fmq-feathers-practice-2-table-runners-t38354.html)

k3n 03-02-2010 02:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all! There's been discussion lately on the board of the Sally Terry book 'Hooked on Feathers' so I ordered it and I love her technique! Also I am a very lucky girl because I just got a new Janome 6600 and so wanted to practice some FMQ generally. Here's a couple of runners I made for this purpose. I did the red and tan one first so used a toning thread to hide the bloopers! With the 'art nouveau' one I got a bit braver and used a slightly contrasting thread on the outer border. :-D

The great thing about this feather technique is that there is no back-tracking and I love the 'echo' effect it creates. For future reference, I will do my spines with a more gentle curve - some of those feathers got a bit elongated and strange looking in those tight bends! :lol:

I did a three branch motif in the setting triangles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26440[/ATTACH]

Wonky fleur de lys! I stippled in the darker patches
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26441[/ATTACH]

k3n 03-02-2010 02:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the back showing the quilting - I was very restrained and left a few small squares unquilted! :mrgreen:

k3n 03-02-2010 02:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's the second one - I loved the stained glass effect fabric and it seemed to lend itself to an 'art nouveau' type design, so I used this emerald green for the border and skinny black sashing. This was designed in EQ6 using a block from the library.

I did a flower motif in the centre, to echo the flower in the fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26294[/ATTACH]

close up of the border feathers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26295[/ATTACH]

k3n 03-02-2010 02:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Last ones! Thanks for looking! I highly recommend this lady's book Sally Terry 'Hooked on Feathers' - it's a good name too because now I'm off to look for something else to feather! :lol: BTW I am absolutely thrilled to pieces with my Janome - thank you Katrine for 'making' me buy it! :-D

back view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26296[/ATTACH]

close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26297[/ATTACH]

woody 03-02-2010 02:46 AM

Wow, well done. I hope with a lot of practice I will be able to quilt like that. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

k3n 03-02-2010 02:48 AM

Thanks woody - I drew and drew on paper first - nearly an entire A4 notebook!!! Then on some practice sandwiches before moving on to these.

rootyr 03-02-2010 02:54 AM

Beautiful work!

Katrine 03-02-2010 03:12 AM

Absolutely stunning!!! Your fmq is amazing Kathryn, I KNEW you would do this with the new machine...
And BTW I love your patterns and fabrics in those runners, particularly the "stained glass" effect one.
A star is born!

beachlady 03-02-2010 03:14 AM

Great job K! I will send you some more quilts to do!!!! LOL Or you could come here with your new machjine!

blahel 03-02-2010 03:22 AM

wow you are good!