Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   FMQ Tension (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fmq-tension-t221249.html)

MommaDorian 05-11-2013 12:01 PM

FMQ Tension

2 Attachment(s)
These are pictures of my first attempt at FMQ. The first picture is the top and the second is the bottom. While the top looks 'ok', the bottom has little loops. I'm thinking this is a tension problem, but would it be the top or the bobbin?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]412878[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]412879[/ATTACH]

newbee3 05-11-2013 12:04 PM

upper tension is too loose. I had the same problem so increase your tension and maybe slow down some.

WeeFi 05-11-2013 12:25 PM

My advice is to slow down. Move the fabric more slowly or slow your stitching speed. I have had exactly the same trouble! See how some stitches are perfect? IMHO it's not a tension problem, good luck

petthefabric 05-11-2013 12:35 PM

Was the tension ok when piecing? Are you using the same thread top/bottom(if they're different it may require a tension adjustment-owners manual will tell you how)? Is the needle correct for the thread size? Are the threads seated in the tension disk/spring?

CarolynMT 05-11-2013 12:50 PM

That is called "Eyelashes" and it is typical when your speed of stitching is not in synch with the movement of your hands. This is a very common problem with FMQ. There are tons of youtube videos as well as just articles about how to correct this.

I believe you are moving the fabric too fast for the machine speed. So either slow your hands down or speed up the machine. It takes a bit to get into the 'groove' of FMQ, where speed of stitch and speed of hands are aligned. :) not to worry, you will get it. But feel free to google "Eyelashing with Free Motion Quilting" , you should get alot of visual and video results to help.

Jingle 05-11-2013 05:43 PM

Make up a practice quilt sandwich and make sure the stitching is to your liking. Not bad for a first time.

josie bass 05-11-2013 07:05 PM

I had that happen to me and my machine was threaded wrong, So I threaded it again and know more problem.

Nammie to 7 05-11-2013 07:06 PM

Lots of good suggestions for the problem. It certainly takes a lot of practice doesn't it?

gabeway 05-12-2013 04:30 AM

Slow down as others said.

debcavan 05-12-2013 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3 (Post 6058141)
upper tension is too loose. I had the same problem so increase your tension and maybe slow down some.

Jamie Wallen on you tube explains tension on a quilt top very well. He is a longarmer but tension in the quilt sandwich is the same. I love to FMQ so I hope you will get things straightened out. I know we don't like to touch our dials but take a deep breath and just do it. Do it slowly, not much of a turn at a time. Your quilting design looks so good so I am hoping you will learn to love it too.

WeeFi suggested slowing down. We do not have to FMQ running the machine as fast as it can go.

Oh I hope all works out. I am so thrilled for you that you are doing this. FMQ is just another wonderful outlet for your creativity.