Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Folded Dahlia Pillow Problem and a question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/folded-dahlia-pillow-problem-question-t179996.html)

mom2boyz 02-19-2012 08:13 PM

Folded Dahlia Pillow Problem and a question

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks to the beautiful pillows posters have shown and the tutorial on this site, I tried my hand at making the folded Dahlia. When you look at my pictures you will see that it is not nearly as perfect as the ones I tried to copy. If you have made one please tell me where I went astray. The problem started with the folding. The first few folds were OK but then on the latter folds, my raw edges at the bottom of each strip weren't being covered. I started to fold a bit differently in order to cover all raw edges and now my strips (petals) aren't even. I would sure like to know what I did wrong. My next question is, "What do I do now?" There were no further instructions in the tutorial and I'm really afraid that if I just sew around the very bottom edges that over time, some of the folded pieces will pull out. Any suggestions? Thanks

mighty 02-19-2012 08:29 PM

I have never made one so I can not be of much help. I must say that it is really beautiful!

ragamuffin 02-19-2012 08:44 PM

We, our quilt club, just made Christmas balls for a hospice tree that was bought by a large company here and then donated to a charity for Christmas. I, too, had trouble with mine. I see on the right side your greem center is okay, but the blue next is not pushed far enough into the center. Your green center points are all longer on the right side. Then when you go to add the next row, you stay out further which is putting everything off. I finally had to use my little 6" ruler and measure so my next row from the center was the same all around. Try this and maybe it will come out better. When you are satisified with the whole thing, either glue it or sew it down inside under each fold. That way it will stay together. Then I would use a compass and draw a circle around it. You can either put it in a round hoop and cut the loose edges off; or you can sew or applique a different fabic around it and make it into a pillow top or frame it. I think it is beautiful as it is but you could correct it if you like.

kathdavis 02-19-2012 08:51 PM

That is gorgeous! You were brave to even try it. I saw the tutorial and I thought, "No way, I can't do that."

QuiltnNan 02-20-2012 04:31 AM

your pillow looks great, even though it is not perfect. i would have been lost if it got off track, too. so ragamuffin's advice is very welcomed.

#1piecemaker 02-20-2012 04:38 AM

Its beautiful. I see you have some good advice from someone who has doen this. I haven't, so I can't help. I just wanted to say that I love it; imperfections and all.

Blinkokr 02-20-2012 05:15 AM

Can't help with what happened but it is just beautiful, thank you for sharing
Have a Blessed day
Ellen

SUZAG 02-20-2012 06:52 AM

It really takes a trained eye to see something wrong with it, it's beautiful!

Grandma Bonnie 02-20-2012 08:32 AM

I've not made one so am no help there. But yours looks beautiful to me! I love it.

sassy granny 02-20-2012 10:50 AM

Since I haven't made one, I can't see anything wrong with it. I think it is beautiful. The colors are perfect. I have been wanting to make one to cover an old chair bottom, now I'm afraid to. Someday maybe I will try it and see if I can do it. I don't have a lot of patience, that's why I wind up with a lot of UFO's on hand.

sassy granny