Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Fugly Orange Baby Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fugly-orange-baby-quilt-t187086.html)

Canada Kate 04-24-2012 05:16 PM

Fugly Orange Baby Quilt

2 Attachment(s)
This pattern was from a post on this board last fall. I made it but I think it's hideous and I don't know what to do with it. I make baby quilts for anyone in my office who is expecting, and this now in my stash of baby quilts that I make and keep on hand. When I find out that someone is pregnant, I get my spies to find out if they know the sex, and based on that, I select one from my stash and make a customized label for that person.

Anyway, this quilt was a big challenge. I followed the directions on the link (which you can find in the first sentence of this post), but I had a lot of difficulty getting the pieces to align properly in each block. It seemed that some of the individual pieces were off by 1/4 to 1/2" and there was no reason for it because I measured and re-measured. The blocks on the back are ones that would not fit in the front because they were too small to fit into the proper block size. As a result of this problem, the front of the quilt is not straight and when you look at it up close, you can see where the fabric is a bit skewed in places where I had to stretch it to align with the next piece. I quilted it using zig-zag SITD, thinking that zig-zagging would hide some of the imperfections, but it still looks crappy to me. :-(

Anyway, I think it's way too fugly to give to anyone. What do you think? Should I maybe give it to charity? It's all done and ready to go. There is a girl at my work who is pregnant now that a lot of people don't like. I give quilts to everyone in my branch (there's about 70 people) whether I like them or not, and so I will give one to this girl. I just think it would be mean to stick her with such an ugly creation. Thoughts?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]330263[/ATTACH]
Front (above)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]330265[/ATTACH]

Back (above)

Teddybear Lady 04-24-2012 05:21 PM

I think you are being too hard on yourself. Find out if the girl likes these colors. If she does, I'm sure she would love to have this quilt.

valleyquiltermo 04-24-2012 05:22 PM

Looks modern to me,Maybe she likes modern?? I like it anyway.

barny 04-24-2012 05:29 PM

If you are thoughtful enough to give a quilt to someone no one likes, give her a perfect one. It will make her feel so good to know she is likeable. Give the one you don't like to charity. It must be awful to know that a lot of people don't like you. It may make her very likeable. PS. I like the quilt.

Homemother 04-24-2012 05:30 PM

I think this is a really cool quilt! It will probably fit someone's taste. If you don't feel right "gifting" it to someone, take it to work and put it on the back of your chair. Watch how many people walk by and admire it! Give it to the most enthusiastic admirer!!!

Jackie Spencer 04-24-2012 05:35 PM

If you don't feel good about giving it as a gift, or if you think one of the other people you made a quilt for. will look at this one as being inferior to others you have made, I would not give it to her.

Neesie 04-24-2012 05:38 PM

Orange isn't my favorite color but that is NOT an ugly quilt! I agree with valleyquiltermo; it looks very modern. If you aren't comfortable about giving it to a baby, donate it to a children's hospital and it'll become someone's pride and joy!

sahm4605 04-24-2012 05:45 PM

I agree it is not fugly just not my taste and if I was an orange lover and loved modern looking things then I would love this quilt. I agree that if the girl loves orange then go for it but if not then just maybe take it to work and see the reaction from people there will be one odd duck who will love it I bet. And I would definitely make a really really nice baby quilt for her in colors she loves or will be doing for the babies room. maybe this will help make her more likeable.

sharon b 04-24-2012 06:01 PM

Not my colors- but unless she knows the pattern and what it should look like- no one but you knows the "mistakes" - but you sound uncomfortable giving it away for a baby present , so like others suggested take it to work and see if someone likes it and gift it to them- and no one has to know that it is less than perfect :rolleyes: LOL

fxsts93kf 04-24-2012 06:13 PM

I love it! So bright and cheerful!