Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Garage Sales Finds for Today (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/garage-sales-finds-today-t223756.html)

Camille 06-15-2013 12:03 PM

Garage Sales Finds for Today

2 Attachment(s)
Dh's new past time since he's home is picking.....garage sales. First we found an old Singer in a cabinet which I did not want. As we were walking thru, I notice a guy putting it in our truck, cause dh can't use his arms ( needs rotator cuff surgery). When I got to the truck, dh said he paid $13 for it. It's from 1941. Then onto the next one, he does the same thing with an old treadle bottom. He paid $25 for the table. He'll sand blast it, paint it up and I'll get a granite top for a showpiece. I bought a bunch of quilting mags for 25 cents each and a couple of quilting books for a buck each. Now this makes #11 in the sewing machine dept. I'll need a house just for the machines soon.

spartan quilter 06-15-2013 12:10 PM

The singer is beautiful, and the metal stand will be gorgeous when he gets it finished. You could use it to display a different machine each month. Sometimes I regret getting rid of the treadle that was left in this house when we bought it, but just didn't have the space at the time.

maryb119 06-15-2013 12:18 PM

Great find!!!!!! I learned to sew on a treadle machien and my mom still has it. Someday it will be mine.

taffy 06-15-2013 01:24 PM

I leaned to sew on a treadle machine also and I wondered why? The St. Michael's Academy School that I went too---The home ec. teacher--I still remember what she said--someday you will be glad you know how to use the treadle machine--she was right my first machine was a treadle and that was 54 years ago--I was happy to have it. I have advance a couple times since then--I have a Pfaff Quilters Expressions .04 now and love it.

GailG 06-15-2013 01:36 PM

Great finds! Great hubby, too! That old Singer reminds me of my mom's machine I learned to sew on when I was twelve. It was a Blue Grass (electric). I learned to treadle in Home Economics class in ninth grade. We had to learn on the treadle machine and then "advance" to the electric machine for our second garment. :)

nygal 06-15-2013 01:45 PM

Lucky you!!

barri1 06-15-2013 02:15 PM

Love your machine. As for the treadle stand, I have one sitting under a glass top in my kitchen.. I have four wrought iron chairs around it.. I don't want to tell you what I spent, as I got it on Ebay years ago.. Would not want to live without that, and my old canning jars in the kitchen

coachmatthewsvhs 06-15-2013 02:55 PM

the singer is just like mine

nhweaver 06-15-2013 03:11 PM

Great DH - hope he continues picking once his rotator cuff is fixed. You have great stuff where you live. Tell him that I said "Keep up the good work!!"

Auntie B 06-15-2013 05:17 PM

Nice finds !!!! I don't have room for that many sewing machines !!! lol