Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   graduate quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/graduate-quilts-t34032.html)

grammatjr 01-13-2010 09:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
These are some quilts I made for girls at church that graduated last year. I used their favorite colors, then tweaked the hair so it matched the girl.

I used half a skein of embroidery floss and sold gold thread to create the tassel - it swings free.

I especially loved Amber's quilt, and had a very hard time stopping cutting the curls!

I was just thinking of the boy grad guilt I will make this year for my nephew, and that brought these to mind.

Thanks for looking.

Amber has waist length curls.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67775[/ATTACH]

Chrissy's hair is shoulder length and straight.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67779[/ATTACH]

Kassandra has short kinky hair.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67793[/ATTACH]

Maggie_Sue 01-13-2010 09:37 AM

How beautiful, I would imagine this is your pattern, and that the lines are cut out and black fabric underneath??

LovingIzabella 01-13-2010 09:38 AM

I love these! Great job!
Hugs
April

May in Jersey 01-13-2010 09:40 AM

Unique quilts. I'm also curious about how you made them. May in Jersey

grammatjr 01-13-2010 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue
How beautiful, I would imagine this is your pattern, and that the lines are cut out and black fabric underneath??

Yes this is my pattern. And yes it is just cut out, and fused onto a black background. Then typical quilt binding.

They were very fun to do!

The boys quilt will be based on a pic of my nephew (my daughter is a professional photographer, and took his senior pics), and will have his arm spill out over the border.

This is my nephew and the pic I will base his quilt on.

in his car
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67796[/ATTACH]

MamaBear61 01-13-2010 09:42 AM

Very nice, please share your method

mrsmayf2007 01-13-2010 09:49 AM

I graduate the last half of this year with my Bachelors in Business LOL! can I have one? J/K!! VERY BEAUTIFUL THOUGH!!!!!

grammo013 01-13-2010 09:52 AM

I love the look

grammatjr 01-13-2010 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
Very nice, please share your method

I made the sketch, ironed fusible to the back of the top fabric,
copied sketch onto paper of fusible.

Then cut out all the lines, taking care not to connect lines, resulting in cutting APART.

Once satisfied with the cutting (big lines easily were done with a 28mm rotary cutter, then small areas cut with tiny scissors - so it went pretty fast), I fused the top to the black background fabric.

I decided kind of at the last minute to make these, so didn't have time to do batting/quilting or anything. It is just a wall hanging, so felt that would be safe to do.

Then I added the tassel: Took a skein of embroidery floss, left it in the paper wrapper, pulled out and cut one complete wind of the floss, set this aside.

Then I wound a thin gold cording around till it looked right, beginning with a dab of hot glue to hold the end of the gold cording to the floss, and sealed the end using another dab of hot glue.

Do the same to the other end of the floss, one skein made 2 tassels.

Using the piece of floss set aside earlier, cut lenght into 2 pieces. Use these as hangers, thread it through the loop on each end.

Cut the 2 tassels apart.

I used a big embroidery needle to gently poke a hole where I wanted to hang the tassel (I didn't think about the whole "which side should it hang?").

I then pulled the hanger floss through the hole, and a few hand stitches on the back to secure.

I had thought of putting pockets on the back so they could store their cards they recieve, but ran out of time.

rootyr 01-13-2010 10:02 AM

How awesome!