Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Grandmas quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/grandmas-quilt-t6915.html)

mgshaw 05-06-2008 07:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Grandma died in 2002, she was 92 years old. This was given to me and I know nothing about it other than she had made it. Its not finished but the pieces are all here already cut out . I never even knew she quilted! All I ever remember her doing was crochet, this woman crocheted everything you could imagine, she was awesome!!
This is entirely hand pieced and I get it out some times and just stare at it in awe, wondering what the story is behind it.

tlrnhi 05-06-2008 07:41 PM

That's beautiful!
My mom had one that was started and after she passed, I was too late getting into the sewing/craft/laundry room to rescue it. My brother took pretty much ALL her crafty things and sent it to the Goodwill. Needless to say, I was P O'd

Barb M 05-06-2008 07:42 PM

Ooooh, it's just beautiful! The pattern is called grandmother's flower garden quilt. Each centre section is a flower, surrounded by a chain of green leaves, it's an english paper piecing technique, very pretty!

MissTreated 05-06-2008 07:44 PM

Gorgeous! There is a lot to be proud of there, and a lot to feel really, really good about.

My grandmother had started a cathedral window quilt, and she died unexpectedly, not finishing it. I asked for it, was passed over, and to this day, I have no idea if it was ever finished.

M

mgshaw 05-06-2008 07:48 PM

thanks Barb.any ideas from the fabric what years it could be from?

tlr, that is so sad I dont know if i could have been P O'd I would have been to busy crying my eyes out!

tlrnhi 05-06-2008 08:02 PM

Usually the fabric comes from old clothes and whatnot. I know the one my mom was making....I remember her working on it at times when I was REALLY young, but had forgotten about it until I saw it again....anyway...the one my mom was making came from our old clothes when we were babies and just scraps she had laying around from the makings of clothes she did.

henryparrish76 05-06-2008 08:11 PM

TERRI--------if my mom had made something like that or started on something like that and my brother or sisters threw it out id be ready to beat them with a stick.

tlrnhi 05-06-2008 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by henryparrish76
TERRI--------if my mom had made something like that or started on something like that and my brother or sisters threw it out id be ready to beat them with a stick.

Let me tell you....I cried over it.
I did however, save an afghan she was making. It just needs to be sewn together. I also have some knitted doll dresses that she made. You know....the frilly knitted ones? Just need dolls to go in them. I know 2 little girls that just might like them. My mom did it all....sewed, knitted, crocheted, tatted, hair-pin lace. She was amazing! I can only sew and knit. Mom tried teaching me, but I just couldn't get the hang of it. :(

Barb M 05-06-2008 08:34 PM

Melissa, i'm sorry, i don't know anything about what era dif fabrics are from.

tlrnhi 05-06-2008 08:49 PM

Looking closer at the designs, some of them look like 50s and 60s. Theres one blue flower print that looks like a shirt my mom made for me when I was in grade school....circa 1960's ish ;) Maybe mid 60s