Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Grandson's DP9 I Spy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/grandsons-dp9-i-spy-t176789.html)

alderdweller 01-24-2012 08:33 AM

Grandson's DP9 I Spy

2 Attachment(s)
This is going to be for my youngest grandson's 3rd BD this Summer. I like it overall, but a bit distressed about the borders. DH and I both thought it needed to be a little longer, so I went back and added the last row of green at bottom. I also added the additional two blocks because I thought it helped break up so much green. Now, after looking at the pictures, I don't think so. What I think I am going to have to do is go back and add another row of the sports (I spy) blocks! Uggggggggg
I also think I need to add an inch or two at the top where Sawyer is appliqued in.
It doesn't look quite as bad on the bed, but I hate the way it looks otherwise.
OR.....maybe I just need something entirely different with border? Any ideas? All help appreciated!

alderdweller 01-24-2012 08:43 AM

LOL and please excuse me for talking to myself, but I just had an idea while looking at the pics. What if I appliqued a football, softball and maybe basketball in the empty green spot? This would really REALLY be a challenge for me as this is my first attempt at applique :)

roadrunr 01-24-2012 08:53 AM

How about adding another border? It wouls make it both longer and wider. How would a yellow border look on it or some other color that would make it "pop"? You did a good job, but it needs a little "pop'
Yes, it would look nice if you added some sports in the empty green spot.

alderdweller 01-24-2012 09:01 AM

Thanks, I may consider another border. For now, I have already decided to rip that bottom off, go ahead and add another I spy row....and go from there. Amazing how looking at a picture helps settle things.

QuiltnNan 01-24-2012 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by alderdweller (Post 4905858)
LOL and please excuse me for talking to myself, but I just had an idea while looking at the pics. What if I appliqued a football, softball and maybe basketball in the empty green spot? This would really REALLY be a challenge for me as this is my first attempt at applique :)

I like this idea. the bottom of the quilt would be balanced with the top. it's a great quilt. i like your cornerstones in the sashing.

alderdweller 01-24-2012 10:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, I was not going to be happy until I added another row. I'm glad I did. Now it's much more balanced...and can decide now if I need another border :)

sandybuttons 01-24-2012 02:30 PM

Very Nice :)

Blinkokr 01-24-2012 02:39 PM

Very nice, great job and thanks for sharing
Have a Blessed day
Ellen

sew1 01-24-2012 02:39 PM

Yes, adding that extra row of I-spy did the trick. You are well on your way to figuring this out.

fred singer 01-24-2012 02:45 PM

that a fantastic quilt great design, too